Camp Low, Hunt High Help

admptmn

Jun 18, 2017
I need some advice about setting up a backcountry campsite.  I will be backpack hunting and am trying to get away from as much hunter activity as possible and get on the Elk.  The best "camping" spots are nearest the roads and lowest in elevation.  I would like to approach from the complete opposite end and more difficult area to access.  The only problem, this is higher in the valley

Any advice?  I absolutely know the importance of wind and not putting myself upwind of where the Elk may be.

If you have backpack hunted in the mountains, how do you choose an ideal overnight camping spot to keep you in the game?

Thanks for any advice.

Is there a way to camp just over the ridge on the other side from where you think the elk might be? Anything you can do to make sure the thermals aren't blowing straight down to where you assume the elk could be would be helpful. If you can find that situation, it sounds like you could be in a great situation with hunters pushing the elk right up to you. Either that or you could try to camp off to one side of the drainage if you assume the elk would be on one side instead of the other.

Winds shift uphill in the morning and downhill in the afternoon here in Colorado. So understanding this it my be prudent to set up camp for the evening crosswind  and back as much as possible from any bedding areas.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back