Can someone help with what I'm looking at on the map?

mckayam1

Jan 13, 2018
Hey guys this will be my first year elk hunting.  When scouting online I found the area in the picture below.  Colorado, kind of central.  10500 feet elevation.  Do you think it's game trails?  Seems like to many.... If it was Maine , I'd say deer.  But not sure out there.  Thanks.
5bf680effd6e043fccb1b9b3e50b2104.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Even in steep county, with forest.?  The one meadow didn't have trails like that in it even.

Here's another picture, the area is where track icon is.
f7acdf9987b1f5bfa72474c66dc0a131.jpg

Cows for sure. Moo cows. Forest service allows grazing, likely what your seeing. Sheep bother elk. Cows not really

montanaelk31 said:
Cows for sure. Moo cows. Forest service allows grazing, likely what your seeing. Sheep bother elk. Cows not really
Good to know guys.  Thank you. 

Welcome to the forum mckayam1.  Have a few suggestions for you.  Sometimes it can be helpful to get on google earth and use the timeline feature to go back and look at multiple aerial images of that area from different times on the year (something I wish OnX could do).  You may just see something like 500 head of cattle or something else to help you draw a conclusion about how good a spot may or may not be.  I really like that sometimes the date of the imagery coincides with the last week or archery, and looking at different trailheads can help me determine how busy an area I haven't been before may end up being.  I even located a small meadow in the middle of timber, miles from any road, with a couple tan bodies about the size of a bull elk standing next to a wallow (I released 2 arrows in that meadow since then...and two elk packed out  ;) ).
Also, I couldn't help but smile when I saw your OnX elevation of nearly sea level and you scouting at 11k ft.  So be sure to take your time adjusting to the altitude when you get here and follow advise out there on how to mitigate altitude sickness.

wapiti_will said:
Welcome to the forum mckayam1.  Have a few suggestions for you.  Sometimes it can be helpful to get on google earth and use the timeline feature to go back and look at multiple aerial images of that area from different times on the year (something I wish OnX could do).  You may just see something like 500 head of cattle or something else to help you draw a conclusion about how good a spot may or may not be.  I really like that sometimes the date of the imagery coincides with the last week or archery, and looking at different trailheads can help me determine how busy an area I haven't been before may end up being.  I even located a small meadow in the middle of timber, miles from any road, with a couple tan bodies about the size of a bull elk standing next to a wallow (I released 2 arrows in that meadow since then...and two elk packed out  ;) ).
Also, I couldn't help but smile when I saw your OnX elevation of nearly sea level and you scouting at 11k ft.  So be sure to take your time adjusting to the altitude when you get here and follow advise out there on how to mitigate altitude sickness.
Thank you.  I did check Google previous imagery when I first saw it.  Didn't see anything like cows on any of the dates. Oh well, from my talks with wildlife officials sounds like there is elk to be had. Adjusting is a good idea, we have plenty of elevation in Maine, but as far as that far above... Nada.  I'm in shape from hiking here, but your right, I cant let my pride get in the way of adjusting.. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back