Can't you see I'm sleeping!

Sep 27, 2017
Some of the best naps are out in the woods during the elk hunt. It can be a little wierd waking up and having to figure out just where in the heck you are at first, but it also makes for some great stories about some of the crazy things that happen. What is your best nap in the woods story??

I'll be honest, the woods puts me in such a relaxed and happy mood, but I am still unable to nap in them! I blame being high strung, but I can't nap on planes, in cars while someone else is driving, and while hunting in the woods.
I do stop and enjoy some extended snack times every now and then. :upthumb:

Anyways, not a nap story, but I was hunting up in Maine one year with my family.  I was probably 11 at the time and a nasty wind story started kicking up one night. I must have been sleeping well, but I remember someone in my tent screaming "WTF". I started coming through and I quickly realized that there was two large branches sticking through my tent and about 3" away from going through my chest. A giant tree had tipped over and feel on our tent. We have double bunk set ups in out tents and I was on the top bump. I was saved by some very strong frame polls.... had they not been there then I wouldn't be here! It was a wild night for sure.  :crazy:

I fell asleep in a homemade treestand.  I woke at exactly 4:00pm to a beeping watch.  I didn't set the watch to beep so it was surprising.  At 4:05pm I had a 5 point bull elk 7 yards in front of my tree stand. Walked right in.  I drew my bow to early and he stopped. Let out a hail mary shot through the trees but missed.  Slept the whole day in time for a bull!

I woke up once, in the middle of nowhere, to another backcountry hunter stumbling across me as I'm waking up, and saying, "Did you see the 2 bulls that just came through here? Oh, man. They had to have walked right past you!" FML. No, I didn't see them come through but it would've been cool if I had.

DTP said:
I'll be honest, the woods puts me in such a relaxed and happy mood, but I am still unable to nap in them! I blame being high strung, but I can't nap on planes, in cars while someone else is driving, and while hunting in the woods.
I do stop and enjoy some extended snack times every now and then.

So does that mean you take a nap ever once in a while when you're driving?? :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Heck I nap all the time in my deer stand... But it's a 4'x6' box stand 4' off the ground with a 2 office chairs with arm rest on them in it...

Ever time I wake up I know where I'm at... Somewhere between the a and the t at least most of the time... I always wonder what I've miss during the naps but sometimes when I wake I'm looking at what I might have missed the times before... Needless to say I'm just was quick on the trigger waking from a nap than while I've been awake for a while which isn't very often...

Sometimes I wonder if I didn't nap how long I would stay in my stand... But then, it's nap time again... ;) ;)

I enjoy a good afternoon nap on the mountain. :-D

Not  a nap story but, sometimes I play solitaire while in a tree stand. last year just got set up for an evening hunt and winning a few hands. Looked up when I saw movement. A nice whitetail buck came in from the direction I had not expected and stopped at 18 yards broadside. I knew if I tried to reach for my bow he would be gone so I just watched him walk off and back to my game.

I don?t have a personal story about sleeping in the woods but was involved in a pretty funny story.

Deer hunting in Mn. I got out of my stand early on morning and ran to the store to get some propane for the camper and Dad was sitting in a stand close to the road. On my way back my buddy who was with said ?deer? so I stopped and we jumped out and grabbed our guns. Not knowing where the deer was I was looking around when my buddy finally shot. I asked him where it was and he said about 15 yards from dads stand. Low and behold dads head pops up and we walked over to the dead deer 6 yards from his stand. He was sound asleep when we shot the deer. All he said was I thought there was trespassers and hit the floor of his stand to surprise the road hunters, low and behold it was just me and my buddy. Dad still hasn?t lived that one  down and that was about 8 years ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many years past I decided to sit and take a nap and it was on a good deer trail in WV. I was awakened by deer running and as I started to raise up the deer slammed on the breaks and dirt hit me on my side and face. The deer did a turn and ran down the hill or it would have had to jump over me. Scared us both

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back