Caribou gear bags, are they worth it?

Big Country

Aug 29, 2013
I've been researching a lot for the last year or so and felt like Caribou was the way to go.  However, everywhere I've looked has been completely sold out of the Wapiti pack (the one I really wanted) until today. I decided to pick it up but am not sold on it yet.  I have cheap set of Alaskan guide bags that I have vacuum sealed that weigh the same amount.  I'm guessing the Caribou bags will last longer but not sure about my purchase.  Anyone else have experience with these?

I haven't used mine yet but on a physical comparison they seem more durable and I like the kit set up.  I also have a carnivore kit if I decide to bone out the animal based on distance to the truck. 

This will be my 4th year with them and I will be using them again after this year. They are heavier, but IMO they are worth the weight and money. They take care of the thing I wait an entire you to get.....back straps!

Attachments

• Last pack.jpg
    Last pack.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Gamebags and Pack.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Game Bags.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 30
I like the idea of a sturdy game bag, but also love the fact that I can use my Alaska game bags once and throw them and not feel guilty. That's why I've never switched.  Girlfriend has never been too fond of bloody gamebags in the washer!

i have heard good things, personally i use the TAG bags. love them. a quality set of bags can last you a long time if you take care of them properly

I'm torn between these and TAG bags.  I'm leaning more towards TAG at this point but not a specific reason why.

If you have to let the meat hang, you want bags that won't let flies lay their eggs through the bag.  We had that happen last year and it was nasty.  Bloat was everywhere.  The guys in our group went with the Tags and the Caribou bags this year.

BrentLaBere said:
This will be my 4th year with them and I will be using them again after this year. They are heavier, but IMO they are worth the weight and money. They take care of the thing I wait an entire you to get.....back straps!

Thanks for the pics man!  The only other reservation I had was size.  The gear review in the most recent issue of Extreme Elk mentioned they may be a little short for bone in quarters.  Anyone see a problem with this?

My wife and I got some last year, after running into the owner of Cairbou Gear at our local Cabelas, early in the year. He and his wife chatted us up about tents, sleeping bags, other gear, DIY hunts, and a couple other subjects.

After all that, he introduced himself and his company. He and his wife were uber-friendly and he gave me his email and told me to let him know when I was ready for some bags. He gave us a nice discount.

This year, at the International Sportsmans Expo in Denver, we passed his booth. He spotted us and came out into the aisle to ask if we filled our tags last year. We had not, so he gave us a few tips for this year.

The bags are high quality and we cannot wait to get some meat in them dudes this year.

I just pack a bull out on the 4th with a set of caribou bags, and they were great. Definitelymore durable and better at keeping dirt and flies off of your meat. Not that heavy and less bulky than the traditional cheese cloth/Alaska style bags. The cinch tie at the top is nice. Reusable.

I have the Caribou Game bags and my brother had the Tag bags.  I haven't used the Caribou bags yet, but the tags were nice.  The bags don't stretch and let the meat pile up in the bottom.  The bags kept it in a tube form and made it easy to put in/pull out of your pack or strap it to a frame. 

Biggest thing is they will keep the flies and bloat off your meat if you have to let it hang.

I have the carnivore II's and have no complaints. Tough kept my hard earned meat clean,  rinsed them with a hose tossed in the washer and they are like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally had a chance to put these bags to the test this season helping my partner pack out his cow.  Based on reviews I had read, I had some initial concerns about the length for a  bone in quarter.  After packing out his elk, no problems at all.  Bags seem super durable and cleaned up nicely.  Also, I didn't think the reflective tags were much of a selling point but after trying to find a place to hang them in the dark and driving rain, it was nice to be able to spot them with my headlamp.  Great product.

Definitely worth it!  You should also check out the bags at Black Ovis/ Camofire.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back