Carrying Equipment

Kmbingham92

Dec 30, 2012
Okay I need some help finding the best system possible to store all the equipment I use on a daily basis while hunting especially elk hunting. Think about all the tools we use on the mountain in a day.

Binoculars, elk calls (multiple), spotting scope, bow, range finder, pack, decoy, pistol ?, and whatever else you all carry while out hunting.

I guess what I am trying to say is no matter what I do it seems I have way to much stuff getting in the way of other stuff on my person while putting a stock on an animal. With the binoculars on my chest I usually have something else (range finder or elk call) hanging from my neck and hitting the binoculars or I have an issue with pulling out the range finder because of the strap on my binocular harness.

Needless to say just when I think I have a great system I don't. What are the things everyone else uses or does to keep things in order and ready to use on your person during the hunt?

If I'm stalking or just have my day pack I usually have only one elk call around my neck, I have my binos, and rangefinder around my neck as well. I have a shirt that I wear during archery season that has a front pocket. So my rangefinder cord is around my neck and sits in my front pocket. For my binoculars I have the kind of strap that keeps it against my body. So a harness or something like that vs the normal strap that comes with the binos. Then I have "cargo" pants that I put a diaphram in. Then everything else is attached or in my day pack. Spare calls, spare diaphrams, and wind checker are all very accessible.
I hunt with a buddy who hates the harnes type binocular straps. I love it and would recommend it to anyone.

I keep things in my pack but everything I need quick access to is on my pack waist belt.  It's a mystery ranch nice frame which you can get with zipper pockets or molle webbing.
I got the molle webbing.  On the left side I have a pouch for a military issue first aid kit which has molle attachment that I keep binos in (although MR makes a bino pouch, which I may get).  I took a standard buckle strap to attach my field dressing kit on the left side waist belt also.  On the right I have a molle pistol holster and I will have bear spray on that side in the future.

as far as calls I am not sure.  Maybe the grunt tube in a water bottle pocket (although it could get knocked out).  and maybe a hip pouch for cow call and diaphrams?  just an idea

I will carry most of my things in a day pack or a waist pack. My binos are around my neck, range finder on my pants right side cargo pocket, diaphragm call in shirt sleeve pocket (Sitka Core Crew LS) and my smoke in a bottle on my front right pocket.

I can fit most everything in my Sitka Bivy 30 but then i ask carry a smaller day pack with the necessary tools i need at the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back