Cell Phone Service??

Turnem N Burnem

Mar 18, 2014
Planning on using MotionX GPS app on my Iphone for direction-anybody use it out west? Also wondering if cell service is gonna be nonexistent for the most part in SW Co.

Not sure on iPhone but my Samsungs gps works great with no cell coverage. I'm sure your phones gps will work fine but as far as actual coverage it all depends on your carrier. I was lucky to full cell service in the unit I'll be in.

Side note I use the OnX Hunt maps and another topo app and they work great in the backcountry!

Check your cel providers website and pull down their coverage maps to get an idea if and what type of coverage you may have in your hunting area. 

I use GAIA GPS on my cell phone and got rid of my garmin.  I actually prefer when theres no service b/c it doesn't drain the battery as much (yes the gps works).  If there's cell service in and out it will keep searching and drain your battery.  If you have cell service, I would recommend switching to airplane mode when not in use.  I can get 2 solid days of hunting in without a recharge.

montanaelk31 said:
I use GAIA GPS on my cell phone and got rid of my garmin.  I actually prefer when theres no service b/c it doesn't drain the battery as much (yes the gps works).  If there's cell service in and out it will keep searching and drain your battery.  If you have cell service, I would recommend switching to airplane mode when not in use.  I can get 2 solid days of hunting in without a recharge.
I agree definitely airplane mode!

it's funny where you can/can't find servce.  in 95% of the area i hunt in, i've got no service but, in the little hidy hole i set up camp in i've got a couple bars and all kinds of internet service.....

i used gpshunt app from the cabelas website and it works great.  i downloaded a few maps of my area before i went in and that helped.  i can use the gps function on it, and the map, even if i don't have internet service. 

Above posts correct.
I have Verizon and get service in the West usually.......but very spotty here in SW NM.
I do find places that have great service(like my ranch),but move and you drop signal.
I shut the cell phone off while I'm out,to save battery. I keep the Garmin GPS with me too,along with compass.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back