Central Mountains Manti Bear

Kmbingham92

Dec 30, 2012
Bear rug is finally done. I will post some pics of the finished product in the next couple days. Here are a couple pics from the hunt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 21
Finished product has arrived. Thanks Sid Lewis for another great mount.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 19
The hunt if you use a guide and his dogs will run you around 2000-3500. I know one of the best here in Utah. The rug cost me $825 and $75 for the skull to be mounted. If you want a bear in Utah and don't want to wait for 5 plus years you can purchase a banquet tag which usually will go between $1000-$5000. It can get pricey unless you know someone with dogs. It helps that I know some of the Hightop guys.

So did the 2000-3500 also include the tag? And was that with a Bow or a Rifle?
I love the mount! Your taxidermist did an awesome job!
I've been wanting to get something like that for a few years now! I do live in Utah and I'm sick of waiting for my # to be drawn!
Any more info you can give me on your hunt would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

I started out trying to do it on my own with some cousins and their dogs. It was a bad spring as there was a ton of snow and bears were late getting on the move. The last three days of the hunt were approaching and my cousins and I knew a couple guys with Hightop Outfitters. I called and set up the last three days to hunt with them. We had a bear on the run each day. The first day the dogs got ledged up and the bear got away without a shot. The second day we had a 400 plus pound pitch black bear on the run and I missed from 400 yards several times but he was not stopping to catch the bullets or let the dogs get close. The third day the dogs put the bear I shot in a tree after a 3 mile or so chase. He was a good one so I took care of him. I had carried my bow for most of the hunt but as the hunt neared its end I only carried the rifle. Wish I had my bow for this one. The tag is only $40 if I remember if you are a resident so that is not the expensive part. The price list shows $1500-2000 for a guided bear hunt and that does not include the tag. Many guides charge upwards of $3000. If you contact them they usually set up a plan that suits you and gives you a hunt of a lifetime. You can usually plan on tagging out in 2-4 days with the occasional first day bear chase ending with a nice boar in the tree. I would say if you want to purchase a banquet tag try to hit the Utah Bowmen's banquet January 26th as they have a Plateau, Boulder/Kaiparaowits Premium tag in the auction. If you can get your hands on a central manti bear tag that is where the guide I hunted with really knows how to get it done. They also hit the San Juan each year and have tons of success there. If you really want to get it done give them a call and tell the Kelly Bingham sent you. They will put a plan together to get you a tag. If needed I or someone else can attend the banquet and buy the tag for you once you have it set up with them. You just need to let them know how much you are willing to spend on the tag after they have agreed to a guide fee for your hunt. Great group of guys to deal with and hunt with. You won't be sorry. They bailed me out when I was down to the last day.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back