Central Oregon Elk

HighDesertHunter

Feb 29, 2020
Hi all,
Topic is Central Oregon Elk. Oregon has over 100,000 elk that spread out across vast ecosystems, altitudes, habitats, coastal rainforests, high timber/sub alpine areas and even the high desert.

I have a target unit in mind for elk hunting this season that is in a controlled hunt in the middle of Central Oregon (high desert climate, dry and arid). It used to be general OTC but as of late, has changed to a draw type of management with a very high draw rate. Local word of mouth and forum information I have gathered is the unit is not what is was, it has no elk and if there are they are all on private land. But after researching the most recent survey information (900-1000 elk, 23:100 bull to cow ratio) and calling the local wildlife biologist it seems to paint a different scenario.

After completing the UEH course, I feel confident I have applied what I have learned for e-scouting and identifying areas of interest (food, water, bedding) to go look for confirmation signs of elk this coming summer.  But the course was not specific about certain habitats you can find elk in such as a desert type climate. So, I'm reaching out to any and all who have either hunted Central Oregon or similar habitat (i.e. Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, etc.) to see what worked best for you given the terrain.

Please feel free to ask for more information to provide your best feedback, thanks for taking a look at this situation.

Oregon boy here as well. I am assuming you're looking at the ochocos or something near it? I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that finding elk there isnt much different than finding elk anywhere. You may be able to utilize glass a little more if you can get high enough. But the same rules apply, Food, water, bedding, north facing slopes. I know that country although not known for it can still be steep and deep so id suggest lacing up tight and holding on for the drop. I would assume late august would be best spent low in the drainages, looking for wallows and fresh rubs, later into september the bugle tube will be your friend. I would also take a look at onxmaps. Use the roadless areas feature to get away from roads as you said its a pretty easy draw.

Good luck friend!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back