Changing my Thoughts

JohnFitzgerald

Mar 31, 2014
Grandpa taught me that displaying the head on the front of your truck was an insult to the animal you\'ve taken. He also didn\'t think much of pictures. This is a big reasons why I never share harvest photos. But I\'ve been giving it a lot thought and honestly I think picture taking is to remember the animal and the hard work you put in. In no way is it a disgrace but instead is an honor to the trophy. So here\'s my elk from last year.

Hope grandpa forgives me.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 201
JF
Very nice!

I think you\'re spot on about the pics.
As we get older, loved ones leave our lives and without pics, their memory can fade.
I wish upon wishes that I had more pics of people and things from the past.

I know my kids enjoy looking at my old photos. New ones too :)

Glad you got to that point JF! Like Brad said, pictures are worth a lot. I kick myself for the lack of picture taking I have done over the years. Last year I made it a point to take more pictures and I\'m still upset I didn\'t take more. I\'ll continue working on it for sure.

BTW, that\'s quite a bull you shared in the contest thread ;)

Nice John.

I believe that a nice tastefully taken pic is never disrespecting to the animal.

I love to see pics. I hope my family cherishes my pics at least 10% as much as I do. I want them to be something that my kids and their kids can look at and understand or remember dad/grandad\'s passion. I am always happy to tag animals and love to see others do the same. To me pictures are much more important than mounts and that has changed over time for me.

I totally agree that tasteful pics are not only a good way to remember the hunt, but also shows respect of the animal. However, I think that one should try and make the animal appear as magnificent as you can. No tongues hanging out, try and clean or keep as much blood as possible out of the picture, and the hunter should look respectful and appreciative.

When I was a young kiddo back on the farm in the 60s, not many photos were taken.
Heck, we didnt even have running water in the house til ~1970 [had it out in the barn for the cattle tho]

This pic was taken about 1967ish - I remember that BB gun very well. I won many a war with it :)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 248
I agree! I have 0 mounts but tons of photos that will help me remember times I\'ve spent/memories made while hunting

I never even thought of displaying anything on the hood of my vehicle since I\'ve always had pickup trucks and they fit just fine in the bed... :D :D

I\'ve also taken many pictures of hunts and critters to remember... Hate to say but some folks don\'t realize that when you hunt with any type weapon you kill the critter you are hunting... I try my beat to display the critters I kill and my family and friends kill with respect to them the great critters they are and no one else...

I\'m glad you came to the point in your life that you can enjoy and let others enjoy the fruits of your labor of love... :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

John,
Kudos for holding to your beliefs, and honoring your Grandfather for so long.

Personally, I\'m a meat hunter, so I regard every animal I have taken as a gift. The pictures remind me not only of that, but of the other blessings I may have received at that time in my life, like this picture with my Dad the Year my Daughter was born:

meanddad.jpg

Or taking my first elk, the Year my Son was born:

FirstBullsmall.jpg

I just have to smile every time I look at them...such good times in my life!

I agree with the others, pictures are priceless, and bring home great memories.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back