Chest shot with a bow

jvanhoy

Jun 24, 2015
Would you take a straight on shot with a bow? Only talking 30 yards and under. I hunt a lot solo and a lot of the bulls I've called in have walked straight in tome. I've always steered away from this with deer but I've saw a lot of videos where people have no trouble with this shot on elk. Thanks for your opinion.

the chest shoot is the most deadly shoot out there and also an easy one to mess up. Know your ability and don't over do it . if your confident in the shoot  then yes take it .

I agree with everyone else. As long as you're a good shot and know the anatomy, it's very lethal. I've never personally done it on an elk, but have on 3 other big game species - all of which didn't go far.

Nick

I would take this shot all day long (at the right distance). Lobbing an arrow at 70 on a frontal shot? Probably not...

It's a very effective shot when done right but at the same time there is a margin for error that I don't like to risk.  I'm confident with my Arrow, and I would take the shot only under 20 yards.

heard people doing it, seems quite effective but i have never done it. if the opportunity arises and you feel comfortable i feel it could be a good shot. all personal preference as far as letting an arrow fly, but i think you will find it is very deadly if performed correctly, just like most shots.

I've seen it work out well and I've seen it turn into a nightmare, but I could say that about a broad side shot as well.  Know your limits and if your not comfortable with it don't take it.
I had it work well at seven yards.

I haven't tried it but i'm quite familiar with it's lethality if executed properly.  So if I am give the chance I would try it but only under 20 yards.

There are a ton of stories out there about a quick clean kill, and just as many horror stories with a bad ending. IMHO feel it is up to each hunter to know their limits. If you can "shoot lights out" with every sight pin, try this; do 20 push ups, 20 jumping jacks, and run in place for 20 seconds. Then quickly take your bow and shoot with your heart pounding, breathing heavy, and arms fatigued. This will give you a better idea of your effective range and shooting capabilities during a close encounter.

Me? Ive hunted a lot of years solo and I am just too darned excited and pumped up to trust my self with a frontal shot. Often times you'll get a broadside shot anyway if you set up right and wait for the bull to get broadside.

I like to move up, and to the down wind side of a direct line to the bull after I know he is committed and coming to my last call. Then I clam up and let him come find me....

THEBUGLER said:
There are a ton of stories out there about a quick clean kill, and just as many horror stories with a bad ending. IMHO feel it is up to each hunter to know their limits. If you can "shoot lights out" with every sight pin, try this; do 20 push ups, 20 jumping jacks, and run in place for 20 seconds. Then quickly take your bow and shoot with your heart pounding, breathing heavy, and arms fatigued. This will give you a better idea of your effective range and shooting capabilities during a close encounter.

Me? Ive hunted a lot of years solo and I am just too darned excited and pumped up to trust my self with a frontal shot. Often times you'll get a broadside shot anyway if you set up right and wait for the bull to get broadside.

I like to move up, and to the down wind side of a direct line to the bull after I know he is committed and coming to my last call. Then I clam up and let him come find me....

I've seen both sides first hand.  If you don't hit something vital it probably won't end well.  With the front shot the target is small and you really have to account for different angles in order to hit any vitals.

I used to be totally against it, not that I would take the shot now but I am open to it.
Does someone have a pic/illustration of the frontal shot anatomy??
A friend told me to aim through the bull at his butt hole??

Its interesting reading that so many people would take this shot.  Last year I had a front shot on a decent bull at 24 yards and I didnt take it because I was unsure of how it would go.  I could see from his lower chest cavity to the top of his head with no obstructions.  Can someone post a picture of where you need to hit?

There's a video on YouTube of a 13 yr old kid taking this shot, it was devastating to the bull
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wrWYuh_s1RQ
Right placement great results wrong placement huge heartache, I'd say if the bulls calm and all that if take it to 30 yards if he's at all flustered I'm around I'll hold off for a broadside ahot

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

Does this picture look about the correct area to aim for a shot like this?

Attachments

• 00small77016360.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 35
This bull was taken with a frontal shot last year at 9 yards. As most have said, being really close and knowing where to aim is key. The sternum is a massive bone you want to avoid.

If you look at the rear quarter, my arrow went all the way through (longways) and out the back.  Lots of KE right out of the hopper!

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Blood Trail.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 4

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back