Chili Powder Anyone?

RockyMountainHi

Dec 28, 2012
Have any of you tried Chili powder over your meat/quarters to prevent the attack of the meat flies and meat bees?  I just started carrying it last year and others absolutely swear by it as both effective and easy to wash off before processing to prevent "wapiti mexicali" for all your meat.  There have been some years when the flies/wasps were totally nasty and multiple stings were a given during the field dressing.  I wonder if it might also have any effect on predators or is just considered a little spice to go with their main course--your prized elk quarter :-[ ?

I bought the chili at the bulk bins of a local grocery (or a Costco would be inexpensive as well).  Just wanted to pass this tip along.

Attachments

• Chili Powder
    30.6 KB · Views: 119
Ive always wondered if it really worked or not. I never tried it though. If I remember this year I will throw some in my pack.

Paul Medel (aka Elknut) tried it this year and he said it worked great for him.  Just the latest to attest to its usage.

Push comes to shove, you can use it on your food until you need it to help keep your meat free of flies. ;D

This is very interesting. I never heard of using chili powder or black pepper to keep insects off of the meat. I will keep this in mind if and when I take an elk during archery season. Thanks for the tip!

COelkaholic88 said:
This is very interesting. I never heard of using chili powder or black pepper to keep insects off of the meat. I will keep this in mind if and when I take an elk during archery season. Thanks for the tip!

yeah i was turned onto this by a local processor.  said put a lot of black pepper on it to keep bugs off.  then you can just wash it off later so it doesn't affect the flavor much

I tried chili powder this year and it did seem to hold off the bee's for the most part. I like the sound of the black pepper so i'll be giving that a try this year.

Never heard of that before, but it's worked for my dog when he digs in the yard... so you've got my attention.  Honestly though I havent had an issue with it.  We quarter it up into game bags quick and are lucky enough to not hunt in a super buggy area.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back