Chuckling with a diaphragm call

Oregonbowhiker

Jan 3, 2013
Newbie here. I got my cow calls down pat last year with a decent bugle. This year I want to have the chuckling down. Any tips or instructional videos you would suggest?
THanks

I am still working on the chuckle and grunts but the mastering the mouth reed from elknuts.com may be helpful.

Elknut and Roes Hunting Resources. Tons of info from those guys.
Check out all Joel Turners youtube stuff. He is a great caller also.

I tell my kids when learning how to grunt and chuckle- make a "cha" sound with your reed. Then when you become proficiant in making the "cha", repeat it with a breath in between each "cha". There is a certain cadence that goes with it, which can be mastered with enough practice.  :D

For FREE calling tutorials you can hit Bugling Bull game calls Youtube channel and check it out........ See below link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuglingBullGameCalls

I hear another one that can teach is corey jacobson if you can catch him at a siminar,Im trying to get him to Oregon!!

I would agree that it is by far the hardest part of calling to master.  Just keep practicing and it will come.  I actually have a better chuckle than my bugle sometimes, but still manage to get elk in all the time with both.

This past year was my first year using the diaphragm calls.  I still cant chuckle but I called in bulls withoutit.

Just to add another idea here, I understand there are two different styles of chuckles. One as an agressive response to other bulls and one as an attraction to cows. I may be mixing that up, but listen for the cadance and coarseness of the two.
Maybe someone can link a short segment of the two different sounds or at least explain it better than me... ???

nclonghunter said:
Just to add another idea here, I understand there are two different styles of chuckles. One as an agressive response to other bulls and one as an attraction to cows. I may be mixing that up, but listen for the cadance and coarseness of the two.
Maybe someone can link a short segment of the two different sounds or at least explain it better than me... ???
I think what you are referring to is grunts. Some may call it other things. The chuckle is more ape like while the grunt has more of the growl, or vibration you would apply to the mouth piece. I am getting my information from elk nuts DVDs...only been trough them once so maybe someone can correct me if im wrong.

That is what I am talking about. The grunts and chuckles, I believe they are sometimes seen as the same, but they are different. Learning the calls it is good to know both.

Guys, IHMO- I feel it is NOT necessary to try and decipher some hidden code within the grunts and chuckles of bulls. After calling in bulls for over 2.5 decades I believe that elk are simple minded, yet VERY wary creatures that act upon their instincts to feed, breed and survive. I dont get muddled down in trying to give the magic reply to his vocalizations, I keep it simple. :D

In fact, I feel if you cant chuckle or grunt- no problem, you can still call in bulls by only bugling. MANY times just using a challenge bugle at the right time will have bulls charging in. If you have called bulls for very long you may have noticed some bulls may not even chuckle or grunt during a call in.

If you cant grunt or chuckle realistically  keep practicing and when you feel good about it let the elk hear you. Until then, give it a try with the bugle.  :)

Dirk, I completely agree with what you say.
I have turkey hunted for a while and listened to some guys call that sounded terrible, to me. They then called birds in and scored on several occasions. To me one of the deadliest turkey calls is a simple low volume cluck, but I still practice all of them just in case that one call will make the difference. You never know when that elk may use that one odd call on you and being able to respond in like could bring it on in. Besides it's just a lot of fun!

Great videos, there are a lot of cds out there that help but i also like to watch the Elk calling championships to pick up some techniques.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back