Clothing for second rifle season in colorado

johnksully

Feb 2, 2014
I am rifle hunting second season in Colorado this year. I haven't gun hunted any big game in over 5 years.  Will my XD first lite Kanab pants an uncomphagre jacket be enough (with base layers when needed)?  I know it's the mountains any anything can happen. I stay pretty mobile and don't sit much.

Well, from my experience a quality base layer and a quality pair of light pants will out perform a pair of heavy insulated pants any day.  The key is to use layering to control your body temp and not to sweat like crazy when you're hiking around.  I climb a mountain at 5am in just light pants (shorts one year) and a base layer top even in freezing temps...working just hard enough to keep my body temp up...then pull all my other layers out of my pack when I stop to set up somewhere.  I learned the hard way the first year when I tried to accomplish this wearing heavily insulated gear...couldn't stay cool...soaked my gear with sweat...then froze my butt off.  The heaviest pants and jacket I carry now are just lightly fleece lined softshell, and I use them in 1st and 3rd rifle season in Colorado.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back