CO GMU Unit 22

Sickforit23

Jul 25, 2016
Anyone ever hunted Unit 22? i see theres a majority of BLM land with quite a bit of private spinkled in. I've looked into the CO hunting statistics, hunting atlas and reached out to their Hunt Planners a handful of times so i have the majority of my questions answered.

Just wondering if anyone's hunted this unit before and if they've had any luck or if it's a pretty heavily hunted area.

I'll most likely be doing the second week of september Archery hunt.

Thanks,

Colorado hunt guide says it's mostly a winter unit from elk moving in from 32. It is a unit that has peeked my interest because of the high success rate for archery season but if I was a betting man I would say that comes from the private land.

Never have, heard great things.
I do know private only makes up 20% and the success rate has been better for archery then the muzzle-loader tag in which is during the same time you want to go.
The muzzle tag ends the 17th and with the moon phase this year hunting should only get better later on int the month. 

Thanks for the info guys. You actually answered a few of my follow up questions specifically tied to the muzzle-loader season. I've done a lot more research since i first posted this a few months back and i've focused a lot on using Google Maps, OnXMaps and the Colorado hunting atlas. I've narrowed it down to a couple of areas and using some of the summer range and migratory info that's available on the hunting atlas i think were actually going to start in the Roan Plateau region and work our way up to 22 if we don't find luck there.

Sounds like the herd in those two regions is pretty large so hopefully we're able to catch them on public land.

Hoping that's a good idea based on the research i've gathered. Were willing to pack in a few miles so also hoping we get away from the road hunters i hear so much about.

Awesome work, now that's what its all about! I'm sure you will have an opportunity here and there, packing in too. I found the further off the trail (spike or bivy camping) the more elk I run into. Harder the sacrifice the more rewarding it is! 

I'm excited to hear how it goes. #EatSleepHuntElk

This'll be my second year elk hunting so i'm still learning alot. Let one of our family friends do all the research last year for Montana and that didnt turn out so great so i took over that job this year. See how it goes.

Hoping for the best. I'll make sure to share if we have some luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back