CO OTC

woodardd

Apr 11, 2018
Gents, no luck on any state draw.  Headed to CO for OTC archery.  Preferably southern unit, as it?s an 8hour drive for me to 78/81.  My question here is not where to go or exact places, but do I hire a pack in service and is it worth it?

We initially planned to throw the packs on for 8 days, hike in for a solid day, and spike camp just chasing the whole time.  Has anyone paid for a pack in service and felt that the initial haul in drop off was worth the $ and actually got them out of the pressure? 

We?d probably just pay for pack in/out, with no real base camp, just a rendezvous point.  If they threw in tips or advice great, but probably won?t pay for a guide to be with us.  We might if the price is right.

The other idea is paying a fee for a trespass hunt, but not sure about that either. 

So sad NM doesnt like the guys who live 40 minutes south of their border, to take their elk that is.  They did like me when it came to their Muleys though. 

Any info is appreciated. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ive hunted 81 twice OTC. I know there is an outfitter service that provides horses for drop camps and pack outs that is located in Elk Creek. I think there is another one in Fox Creek as well. If you got the means to pack in several miles and sustain yourself for a few days id do that. There are is an abundance of water sources on the NW side of HWY 17 from Trujillo Meadows to Elk Creek. Its up high but its not too hard to negotiate. I would look in the areas of Red Lake and Duck Lake. There are Trail heads that will take you up there. Add bears into the equation, there are a lot up there. One advantage to 81 over some of the other southern units is that units 78, 75,74 are all just outside of Pagosa Springs, and Durango. Lots of traffic. I never see a ton of people in 81 like others may say there is. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Thank you!  I will definitely look into it and let you know if we have any questions. I think we will hire a service to pack us in as far as we can get, then pick us up 8 days later.  Now it?s just deciding we actually have a base camp where we get dropped off, or pack up each day and try to sleep with the elk.  I think we are leaning towards the second choice.  I appreciate the info. 

https://www.huntcco.com

Here is their website. I know on a map it shows the little storefront in an area called Elk creek, but if you google elk creek it takes you all the way up to Meeker, CO. I hope your hunt works out!

Thanks.  I reached out to Conejos, but unfortunately elk creek isn?t his permit area.  I?m going to call him today to see what info he can give.  We are going to head up in May for 3 day test run.  I?ll keep looking for a packer around elk creek.

I have used Rainbow Trout Ranch for drop camps the last several years. The hunting/fishing outfitter was previously known as Wildhorse Outfitters. They can do drop camps for fishing or for hunting. I would check them out.

I shot a raghorn on 211 back in 1996. Although not archery, I'm in the same position looking for good harvest rate OTC area.
Thanks all the vets offering suggestions!

We?re doing a backpack trip this year and are talking about renting llamas on a future trip so I?ll be watching for any reviews for that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back