CO points

Bob Frapples

Mar 10, 2014
So I've got 3 Colorado elk, deer and prong points.  Don't think I've got enough to throw in for deer or elk so thinking to throw at lope.  Am ready to scratch that off bucket list.

Any suggestions for unit and strategy would be great.  I'll be bow hunting so will be interesting.  I've got 3-4 weeks I can take off so hopefully have time to scratch out an elk hunt after that.

Take a look at the regs...most antelope tags for archery are actually over the counter, even in trophy units. Simply put, antelope are tough enough to get close to with a rifle. Archery would be extremely difficult on public land unless you somehow found a good water hole that no one else was set up on. Also keep in mind that many of the areas that hold antelope are actually private land (east of I-25 and the lowlands in the mountains).

I don?t want to completely burst your bubble, just trying to give you a good understanding. It?s not impossible by any means, just not easy. But having said that, I?d keep saving points for a good rifle hunt and in the mean time get out and hunt them OTC for archery! Learn an area and who knows, maybe you?ll even get lucky and get close enough to arrow one.

One other thing I?ll throw out there is make sure you get a strategy in place with your deer and elk points so you know what you are saving for. In particular with elk you can hit a point where you aren?t getting any closer to better hunts unless you are planning on saving for a long time. Look into which units require preference points and how many those units require and you?ll see what I?m talking about. Many people end up saving up a bunch of points only to dump them on a unit they could have hunted two or three times if they would have paid attention and had a plan.

Thanks for advise,  I'm not particularly excited to hold up in a hot tent in August but it is on my "to do" list. 

Since I lost my job a couple years ago I've been out of the hunting thing till this year.  Lucked up and got a really good job with some off time.  Time to dig out and dust off all my research stuff at do some new homework. 

Have been just buying points where I thought I might get to go one day.  In the mean time I'm trying to figure out what's a waste and what's worth pursuing from this point.

Thanks for advise

I just took a quick look and with 3 preference points it looks like there are only 7 different archery antelope buck tags that are out of reach. That should give you an idea of how much easier it is to get archery tags for antelope. When it comes to those points I would say you have three options:

1) Save the points for a rifle hunt
2) If you don't want to do a rifle hunt, burn the points this year on an archery hunt and you have your choice of all but 7 tags.
3) If you don't want to do a rifle hunt, you could also save up your points for one of those top 7 archery tags.

I suppose a fourth option could be to redeem the points for a rifle hunt this year?

Thomas, one other thing: check out www.toprut.com. I simply went to draw odds for archery elk in Colorado and was able to pull up this map. This gives you an idea of what I meant when you can hit that 'no man's land' for points. There appear to be 10 units that require more than 3 preference points for non resident archery tags, but notice that only two of those ten units can be drawn with 4-7 points, and only one more of those units is added in the 8-11 point category. So going from 3 points to 11 points really only opens up three different units for you. Make sense?

Thats a handy app, I see what your referring to, wonder how accurate it is.  It looks like an excellent reference tool.  Thanks for info, seems I got some soul searching to do this week.

Just needed to figure out if I wasting my time and money. 

Hi WW, glad to get a job where I'm gonna get some time off to head out west somewhere this year. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back