Co Pronghorn 2016 (story)

Stoneman

Apr 27, 2016
Due to work requirements opening day would need to wait this year? Anxiously watching the weather and radar every day leading up to Friday 8/20 it was once again going to be a crap shoot. That is the way it goes in north eastern Colorado, it can be dry all summer and come August 1, the monsoon season rolls through sometimes leaving standing water in every swell or depression.

Sometime around mid-July I erect a temporary blind around one of the water holes or stock tanks in the area I hunt. Several things go into this selection, however, the absence of livestock has become the top priority. Having a few good pronghorns in the area doesn?t hurt either.

Friday afternoon I continued to get gear and camp together. The plan was to head out around 3:30pm and get camp set up early, then after dark I would drive to the water tank, drop the temporary blind and replace it with my double bull. Then back to camp to get ready for ?my? opener. Unfortunately, at 3:30pm it was still pouring down rain at my place and I didn?t get packed and on the road until a little after 5pm. Still on track until I hit I-25 north bound. An accident somewhere north of Loveland had the slab backed up all the way to Longmont. Another delay.

For the next 3 hours I chased the rain and wind (or visa versa) as I made my way north then east to my destination. Stepping up on the rancher?s porch, wet from rain he greeted me saying ?come on in but you better get on up the hill before round 2 hits.?

I camp on a plateau above the ranch, something I look forward to each year. Very peaceful and relaxing.

I sat there in the dark with an ominous cloud spanning most of the south western sky. First it looked pretty bleak but after a few gusts of wind and a splash of a prairie downpour the clouds parted and the rain stopped. I was able to set up camp fairly quickly and after assessing the situation, I decided to go set up the blind for a morning hunt. Knowing it would still be wet for a few hours, the forecast called for drying conditions. So fingers crossed that is what I did.

The alarm when off normal time but I didn?t get up for another hour. Finally, in the blind around 7:00am I felt pretty good I hadn?t missed anything. The grass was covered with dew from nights? rain. Just as I figured though, by 8am it was dry and by 9am when I caught movement to the west the grass was pretty much dry. Even with recent passing storms and the 1/2 inch of new moisture this area had been so dry over the summer the parched ground soaked it up like a sponge. Just what I was hoping for!

This buck appeared out of nowhere and slowly fed from south to north behind the blind. As I watch him he looked north and then started to trot that direction soon to meet up with 5 more bucks now directly down wind of my blind. It did not take long for them to get nervous and with flaired rumps they made a big circle around me and the water tank, dropping below my camp and disappeared to the west, never to be seen again? oh well, at least I saw a few bucks I thought.

Attachments

• pronghorn ac rs 001.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 310
[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->horned lark ac rs c 007.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment][attachment=2]<!-- ia2 -->horned lark ac rs c 006.jpg<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment][attachment=3]<!-- ia3 -->prarie dog ac rs 011.jpg<!-- ia3 -->[/attachment][attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->prarie dog ac rs 012.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]Soon I had resumed the position? in the box. 10, 11, 12, 1pm and no pronghorn in sight. I took some pictures of the regular visitors and ate lunch.

Attachments

• prarie dog ac rs 012.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 311
  • horned lark ac rs c 007.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 310
  • horned lark ac rs c 006.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 310
  • prarie dog ac rs 011.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 310
[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->badger1 ac rs 014.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]Sometime after 2pm a badger appears and is heading towards the blind, I adjust to get a better picture and he senses something wrong. Not wanting any part of it, he abruptly leaves after making sure what ever was in the blind was not worth a drink of water.

Attachments

• badger1 ac rs 016.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 310
  • badger1 ac rs 014.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 310
[attachment=2]<!-- ia2 -->badger2 ac rs 017.jpg<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment]Not 30 minutes later here comes another badger, first I thought it was the same one but upon closer inspection, it was different. This time I was ready and made sure not to spook him as he came in for a drink. He got a drink and continued to survey the surroundings. Once done, he trotted back the way he came and dropped out of sight into a burrow not 75 yards from the blind. Now I know where he came from.

Attachments

• badger2 ac rs 017.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 310
  • badger2 ac rs 020.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 310
  • badger2 ac rs c 021.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 310
Around 4pm I pick up a spot a mile and half to the north east. One turned into two, then three pronghorns but they were so far away I could not really confirm buck or doe. I watched them for some time until they bedded and they all disappeared soon after that.

Around 6:30pm it is getting close to start to organize gear and prepare to shut er down for the day. I look to the north and my badger is out of his den again. I watch as he rolls and scratches in the grass as the day winds down. He decides to get one more drink so I adjust to get more pictures only to see this buck who seemed to come out of thin air standing to the east.

Attachments

• badger3 ac rs 033.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 309
  • badger3 ac rs 032.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 309
Game on!

I close windows, arrange gear etc.

Yea, I am shooting if he gives me a chance.

Attachments

• buck ac rs 036.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 309
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->badger3 ac rs 038.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]The badger is on his way to the tank and both the buck and I are watching him. Not really concerned because I figure the little grunter will just drink and go back to his den but he turns and heads right for my blind. I sit as still as I can as his shadow goes by less than a foot away. The buck standing 60 yards out is watching.

Attachments

• badger3 ac rs 038.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 309
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->blind ac rs 112.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]To my relief the little bugger turns and heads up the hill on his way for an evening hunt I suppose. Now the buck is committed to getting a drink, but rather then coming to the left side (where I am set with an open window) he turns coming in directly behind the tank. As you can see there are rails and rebar around the tank to keep the cows from taking a dip so now I have to wait to see what unfolds. I can?t move now nor try and open any other windows so I decide to shoot through the netting if I have too. Never having to do this before I was somewhat concerned but figured it would be fine.

Attachments

• blind ac rs 112.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 316
The buck comes to the right of me, (left of the tank) and steps up to get a drink. I settle my 20 yard pin and squeeze off the shot. The arrow blew through the blind and straight through the buck. He came off the platform, turned then made a dead run only to tumble to an abrupt stop about 90 yards out.

Attachments

• buck ac rs 041.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 316
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->buck ac rs 065.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]One day in the box, I will take it every time especially for a buck like this!

Attachments

• buck ac rs 065.jpg
    buck ac rs 065.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 316
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->meat rs c 097.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]in closing, tenderloins are gone and I am working on the back straps now!

Attachments

• meat rs c 097.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 316
What a phenomenal write up, Dave!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this out and posting up pictures!

Congrats again on a great buck. :upthumb:

I really enjoyed your tale and all the pictures you had the opportunity to take... :clap: :clap:

The buck is a great reward for patients... :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back