Collapsible Water Container

AaronJohnson

Mar 4, 2014
I\'m currently looking for a collapsible water container for spike camping this year. I\'ve looked at the Platypus models but they seem to have mixed reviews on how well they seal. I\'ve looked at ebay as well and found some really inexpensive ones that look decent for $5-$15 dollars. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? looking for 4 - 6 liters for cooking and camp purposes. I have a couple of formed hardened plastic models that are great for base camping just too bulky and cumbersome for spiking in.

For backpacking, I use the MSR Dromlite. The heavy duty version, Dromedary, comes in a larger size: 10L. I have not had any issues with the Dromlite. I would buy it again.

I gave away my collapse Platypus Water tank because I could never get the zip seal to seal completely. I would never go back to using the Platypus zip version of anything.

Aaron
Is just for storage while at spike camp?
Could you collapse a gallon plastic milk jug?

I second the MSR Dromedary units. I have two 6Liter units for backpack hunting. Have been using them for 3 years and they work great. Very durable, lightweight and very collapsible.

i always overdo it on car camp water.

i used those blue hard sided cans with the spigot lids. and i bring one of those coaches jugs with the push button spigot. i like boiling a pot of water and dumping it into the jug so i can have a lukewarm splash bath.

Please let us know which one you get and how it works out.

I have considered a collapsible tank for camp.

For a 10 day trip, I take my 7 gallon Reliance hard plastic tank plus 5-7 individual water gallons I refilled at home. They take up a lot of space. I still end up going to town to buy water by day 8. New this year, I will take gallon milk containers with frozen water for the cooler. As it melts, I will resupply the water tank. I would like to avoid buying water in town.

Will do. My intent is to take the jug in empty and fill with my Katadyn Hiker Pro. This worked for three of us in a spike camp, had to fill every couple of days even using it for bladder refills if needed.

To clarify, this is spike camping not car or base camping off a road. The blue container works fine but is bulky and ties up an extra hand in and out. Leaning towards the Aqua Sak, I\'ll run a trial first and give feedback.

Oh. For that?!

I use a 10 liter sea/summit bucket. Fill it up and dip the filter in. We filter from the bag as needed. Hung from a tree near the tent, it is fantastic. We paper-scissor-rock who gets to fill the bag.

it works so well. we keep the unfiltered water in the bucket..leave the filter pick up tube in the full bucket and just pump and filter into our vessel of choice. i think this method is superior because this bucket is a muti-tasker. you can use it to dump water on yourself..bring water to soak the fire pit when you leave (remember this i unfiltered water so it is easy)..do laundry in it..fill with water, camp suds, laundry..and swish away. it doesnt soak grime or smells. you can carry fish in it..haha..the thing is a tank. and it packs down to a cigarette box size..

Sent via Jedi mind trick.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back