Colorado muzzle loader elk help

TheBigShow

Mar 24, 2018
I applied for a Colorado either sex mz tag for unit 15/27.

Anyone hunt this season before? September 8-16. I?ve hunted this area the last couple years in the 3rd season with no luck.

Also wondering what loads you mz elk hunters use as I am from MN and use pretty light loads for deer and we allowed to use sabots and pellet uses powder. That being said I am starting from scratch on the loads. I shoot a traditions pursuit pro

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive had good luck with 50 cal. Thompson Center Maxi Balls - 370gr

or Hornady Great Plains 375gr pushed by 90gr powder

I have hunted elk since 1991. I have harvested 5 bulls in the last 9 years with a muzzleloader in Colorado. I shoot AT LEAST 300 GRAINS Powerbelts and up to 370 grain with 110 grains FFF powder. Aerolite 300 grain have been a good choice for my son(28)and myself(52)  for alot of years. I am going back to the bow this year to join my son as he has taken a cow and a bull with a bow the last 2 years. I do recommend you shoot alot and wire brush your barrel clean every 20 shots. Hopes this helps. Good luck

TC Maxiballs, Thor, Hornady FPB, No Excuses, Bullshops are a few I'd recommend.  NOT Powerbelts for elk.  I know MANY people that have lost elk with powerbelts including myself twice!  Not saying you can't kill an elk with one and some may be better than others but they have significant problems on elk so I'd suggest you research them.

I am setting my dad up to run a muzzleloader for this year and looking for this advice! Glad someone else has asked. LOL

Murray2015 said:
I am setting my dad up to run a muzzleloader for this year and looking for this advice! Glad someone else has asked. LOL
Good luck! Hope you get him all dialed in! I have always wanted to hunt the early season and I am starting with muzzleloader and maybe one day switch over to archery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have taken 2 bulls with Thor bullets. Good performance on both but both were clean shots.

I also drew my first muzzle loader tag this year. Been bowhunting colorado last three years. I?m from Wisconsin and have always used sabots and pellet powder. I shoot a Thompson center triumph. I went with Thor bullets and blackhorn powder. I?m very pleased with my groupings and can?t wait for September

370 gr Maxi Balls....Buck Horn powder. I believe I was shooting 100 grains of powder but may be slightly less with the Buck Horn. Also if you use Buck Horn you may need to get a special breechplug for that powder. I hunted with a CVA rifle and purchased the breechplug for it.
Good Luck!

nclonghunter said:
370 gr Maxi Balls....Buck Horn powder. I believe I was shooting 100 grains of powder but may be slightly less with the Buck Horn. Also if you use Buck Horn you may need to get a special breechplug for that powder. I hunted with a CVA rifle and purchased the breechplug for it.
Good Luck!

Why do you need a special breechplug with Buck Horn powder?

The company (Buck Horn)actually recommends using the special breechplug. The CVA breechplugs are made so the hole the fire goes through is longer than the special ones. Most powder is easier to ignite and the Buck Horn needs a hotter flash or fire to make it go off. This is my understanding. In other words the distance from the primer to the powder is shorter with the special made one. I use it with all powder now that I have one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back