Colorado OTC unit

VTHOKEE

Mar 4, 2016
Well I have a lot of time on my hands here lately and I am starting to look into different OTC units in Colorado. I am doing this in case I do not draw here in NM. I have started to look at GMU 81 for an OTC archery hunt. Anyone familiar with Colorado care to share positives or negatives about this unit.

I\'ve never hunted it before, but it looks like there is a lot of public land and it is far enough away from Denver to avoid a lot of that traffic. The success rates look pretty decent too...archery success rates were 20% in 2014, 15% in 2013, and 15% in 2012. Not too bad for an OTC unit.

I looked at that unit due to the fact it\'s close enough to make a long weekend drive to scout and the public land looked to be a decent amount.

I never hunted 81 but did hunt 80 during rifle season back in the late 90\'s and early 2000\'s and there was a lot of road camps in the area I hunted...
I think someone told me it had gotten popular with folks from Texas and I know a lot folks in Texas that like to elk hunt Colorado...
Unless someone else can help I guess you will just have to make a weekend of it...
I did drive several of the open roads in 81 once and the country looked inviting to me at that time...
I do remember hearing someone talk about some reservoir that was a state park and all the pressure it got...
Hope someone can help you...

Alan, I hunted Unit 78 for several years but never got into 81. My suggestion is to hit the Colorado Parks & Wildlife web site and start looking at maps and stats. Here\'s a link to their GMU atlas: <!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/inde ... ntingAtlas</a><!-- m -->

At the top there\'s a drop down box where you can enter the GMU. On the legend, select Elk and check off the migration routes and concentrations. Should give you a good start. It doesn\'t look like you necessarily need to be hunting along the Continental Divide either. If I remember correctly, there\'s quite a bit of water in that unit and the SWA\'s will get hit the hardest.

Maybe you can send Dan in with an arsenal of trail cameras? :) I\'m sure you know this but I seriously doubt you\'ll have nearly the elk hunting experience in CO unit 81 as you did last year in NM.

In looking at the stats, yes, 20% success last year but the total number of hunters was 1,205 with 8,999 total recreation days. I believe this equates to a successful hunter having spent an average of 7.46 days in the field. Someone from CO correct me if that explanation is incorrect.

\"Colorado Russ\" said:
In looking at the stats, yes, 20% success last year but the total number of hunters was 1,205 with 8,999 total recreation days. I believe this equates to a successful hunter having spent an average of 7.46 days in the field. Someone from CO correct me if that explanation is incorrect.

I think that those numbers are for all hunters, both successful and not successful. So the average person hunted 7.46 days in that unit. That seems high to me though... :?:

Just guessing but it sound like it took 8,999 hunting day for 1205 hunter to kill 241 elk....

I\'ve hunted that unit twice, take an altimeter and good boots. I never saw an elk down low or near a road. You gotta get in real deep, then cover a lot of ground. There is an outfitter in elk creek that will take you in several miles on horses. They said they get about 10% kills. It\'ll cost $800 to use them on top of the price of a tag. Honestly, elk seem to move around a lot and it takes awhile to learn that area. Dripping lakes is good but that is about 5 miles in from hwy 17 if you take the continental divide trail. It\'s a climb too. Obviously that\'s a bivy hunt. If you hit the lower bodies of water you\'ll see Arkansas and Louisiana plates all over! Ha.

\"82ndreddevil\" said:
I\'ve hunted that unit twice, take an altimeter and good boots. I never saw an elk down low or near a road. You gotta get in real deep, then cover a lot of ground. There is an outfitter in elk creek that will take you in several miles on horses. They said they get about 10% kills. It\'ll cost $800 to use them on top of the price of a tag. Honestly, elk seem to move around a lot and it takes awhile to learn that area. Dripping lakes is good but that is about 5 miles in from hwy 17 if you take the continental divide trail. It\'s a climb too. Obviously that\'s a bivy hunt. If you hit the lower bodies of water you\'ll see Arkansas and Louisiana plates all over! Ha.

Thanks for the info Aaron...

I forgot.. For what it\'s worth, I had some friend that live in GMU 80 and always wanted me to come hunt with them during late season but I never did... But they always talked about the San Antonia???? mountains down south, which south of 80 is 81...

It is just a shame that New Mexico hunters can\'t draw a tag in their own state but yet non-residents can. Just an example of money talks more than residents. I went down to the Durango area several years ago to help my brother in law on his hunt. There were a ton of NM license plates on vehicles in different hunting camps. It looks like Colorado is a dumping ground for you guys that are unable to hunt in your own state. My sympathy goes out to you.

Actually, Colorado is getting to be the same way with their deer permits. I wonder how long it will be before they treat us residents the same as nm does theirs with elk tags! It is already that way in many units.

\">>>---WW---->\" said:
It is just a shame that New Mexico hunters can\'t draw a tag in their own state but yet non-residents can. Just an example of money talks more than residents. I went down to the Durango area several years ago to help my brother in law on his hunt. There were a ton of NM license plates on vehicles in different hunting camps. It looks like Colorado is a dumping ground for you guys that are unable to hunt in your own state. My sympathy goes out to you.

Actually, Colorado is getting to be the same way with their deer permits. I wonder how long it will be before they treat us residents the same as nm does theirs with elk tags! It is already that way in many units.

This is something I have heard a lot over the years. People saying that its easier for a NR to draw a tag than a Resident in NM. I understand these we all have different opinions but I disagree with this assumption and this is why. Since 2010 there has only been 2 years that I did not draw an elk tag. I have held elk tags in the Carson, Jemez, and the Gila. My dad held a tag in the Valle Vidal. I have drawn 2 OIL tags; Oryx, and Ibex. I have applied for Barbary Sheep twice, drawn once. I have yet to draw a good antelope tag, but maybe this will be my year for that one. NM has also reserved all of its cow tags to residents only. So I do not feel that NM is more generous to the NR than it is to its own residents. It has been very generous to me over the years.

As for Colorado, that is another state that has been generous to me as well. But I do not feel it favors NR over its own residents either. For example, there is a huge difference in the amount of points it takes for a resident and a nr to draw archery elk in Estes Park. Now there are two circumstances in Colorado that I am aware of where it is a greater benefit to be a nr versus a resident. That would be for Cow moose, and ewe BHS. Of course the reason for this is that due to those tags costing about 2k for NR there end being as many applicants as their are tags allocated.
My only issue with Colorado is the recent change where all NR big game hunters are required to also purchase year round fishing licenses. That makes an OTC elk hunt a little more expensive.

To add onto what Aaron is saying. Residents done have full control on their draw, but they can certainly increase their odds.
Some units are hard to draw, some are not. If people are trying to apply for trophy units (something similar to 61 and 201 in CO) then they may not draw a lot. However if they balance their odds well, there is a good chance they can draw every year.

For example my odds right now for my 3 choices are: 9%, 31%, 33%

I have a fairly decent chance of drawing!

What Dan and Aaron said is 100% correct. I have a friend who only puts in for rifle hunts in trophy units. He hasn\'t drawn a tag in 6yrs. There are secrets to drawing in NM but it\'s never a guarantee.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back