Colorado - Pagosa Springs/Gunnison Area

jmoran582

Sep 2, 2015
I am new to the forum.

I am starting to plan my first ELK hunt for next year and wanted to see if anyone out there had been to this area of the state.

I am planning on DIY hunt and hoped someone had tips, strategies, possible population size or any other info about the area. Is this a good area or should I look to a different part?

Anything would be greatly appreciated!

Heading there on Monday after the Labor Day hunters, hikers and campers are gone. This will be my first elk hunt. Will be there for two weeks. I'll let you know after I get back.

SarcasmPhD said:
Heading there on Monday after the Labor Day hunters, hikers and campers are gone. This will be my first elk hunt. Will be there for two weeks. I'll let you know after I get back.
That's awesome!  I wish I could get that much time to try and get it done. What resources did you use to plan?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Started off using the Colorado Hunting Atlas and Google Earth. I am fortunate to have a friend who does film work for Colorado parks and wildlife. He kinda guided me on areas to hunt but not in the south. I consulted the harvest stats that are available, looked at areas where success rate was much higher than the less than 10% year in, year out Unit 18, another friend who I am no longer hunting with because of his insistence to hunt shitty units. Sorry I'm getting distracted. Back to the stats. I also looked at the average number of hunters for certain units. For me, the less the better. I ended up choosing that region, Pagosa Springs/Gunnison based on 1) I'm driving from Texas and cut off around 5-6 hrs driving time, and 2)the decent success rates. Granted, high teens, low 20s aren't what one would consider "excellent" success rates but it is on public land. I then narrowed down where I want to go, and began looking at the terrain searching for what I hope provides good food, water and cover.

I forgot to mention that I was able to contact and speak on the phone with a game warden. I introduced myself, gave him my game plan, units and areas I am considering. He provided feedback on the terrain, roads to use, and actually told me I chose some good spots. Game wardens are a great resource. They won't tell you where to hunt. Don't bother contacting them to ask where you should hunt. Have a game plan, do your research, and ask relevant questions about the units/areas you are considering. If you haven't already, Sole Adventure, check his site out. He provides a script on what to say and questions to ask a game warden. The guy I spoke with was very helpful. I recommend contacting them in the off-season for obvious reasons.

SarcasmPhD said:
Started off using the Colorado Hunting Atlas and Google Earth. I am fortunate to have a friend who does film work for Colorado parks and wildlife. He kinda guided me on areas to hunt but not in the south. I consulted the harvest stats that are available, looked at areas where success rate was much higher than the less than 10% year in, year out Unit 18, another friend who I am no longer hunting with because of his insistence to hunt shitty units. Sorry I'm getting distracted. Back to the stats. I also looked at the average number of hunters for certain units. For me, the less the better. I ended up choosing that region, Pagosa Springs/Gunnison based on 1) I'm driving from Texas and cut off around 5-6 hrs driving time, and 2)the decent success rates. Granted, high teens, low 20s aren't what one would consider "excellent" success rates but it is on public land. I then narrowed down where I want to go, and began looking at the terrain searching for what I hope provides good food, water and cover.

I forgot to mention that I was able to contact and speak on the phone with a game warden. I introduced myself, gave him my game plan, units and areas I am considering. He provided feedback on the terrain, roads to use, and actually told me I chose some good spots. Game wardens are a great resource. They won't tell you where to hunt. Don't bother contacting them to ask where you should hunt. Have a game plan, do your research, and ask relevant questions about the units/areas you are considering. If you haven't already, Sole Adventure, check his site out. He provides a script on what to say and questions to ask a game warden. The guy I spoke with was very helpful. I recommend contacting them in the off-season for obvious reasons.
Awesome! Where out of Texas are you? I'm out of Lubbock, so drive time to Colorado in that area is a big factor for me.

Dang that is a drive right there! Well good luck man, hope you arrow one!

Thank you. Yes it is a long a$$ drive. Thankful for Sirius so I can listen to Howard Stem and when I lose signal, I have plenty of hunting podcasts ready to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back