Colorado Unit 18

SarcasmPhD

Jun 14, 2015
Here's the deal: this Sept I will be going on my first elk hunt. A friend of mine in CO, who will also be on his first hunt, insists we hunt unit 18 because his neighbor suggested it and his father-in-law has a place in downtown Granby. Having looked the area over on the Colorado Parks & wildlife Hunting Atlas, one would think it would be a good spot since it borders Estes Park and RMNP. I did some research on harvest stats for that unit. It consistently ranks in the BOTTOM 10%, with an 8% harvest for 2014.  Makes sense. It is a heavily hunted unit, which more than likely has wise elk. Am I wrong for being a little concerned that I'll be spending over 600$ for an OTC tag for a unit that has a horrible success rate? Has anyone here or would you know someone who had hunted that unit and can provide feedback?  Thank you in advance.

Tags are always the gamble i like to look at it like a really expensive camping trip with a chance to fill my freezer I cant help you with the area look for the least access places far from trails and roads that most would avoid. remember it is archery so there will be less folks out and look for hidden water.

Well thank you for the input. I didn't take into consideration the type of hunting I'll be doing: bow. Less pressure I'm sure. Of course I'm contradicting myself as I replied to your other post before reading this one. I'm just amped up about going and will try my best, no matter where I go, to be successful.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back