Colorado Unit 28

Murray2015

Mar 30, 2018
I am looking to hunt unit 28 in Colorado this year and need a base of info to go from.  This is the first time I will be to the area.  I have picked this area because my dad has developed a blind spot in his dominant eye, forcing him to put his bow down and making him shoot firearms left handed.  He has never been able to hunt the rut or close to it and I am putting him in for the muzzleloader tags for this unit with the high odds he can draw.  I can already tell that there will be alot of ppl out and about because of all the ski resorts close by.  Any pointers on areas to look at are appreciated!Thank you!

I've never hunted the area before, but here are a few things to consider. First off, you are correct that the unit should get a lot of traffic. You have got a lot of big cities and towns in that area where people can stay in a hotel or home rental and hunt and you will also have a bunch of hikers to deal with. With that being said, I would focus on getting into areas that are either away from those big towns or, if they are near those towns, as far away as possible from roads and trails.

Have you checked out the CPW mapping atlas? It can definitely be a good reference when you first start out: https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

From an online resource

Vegetation Bark beetles have killed many lodgepole pines in some middle to high-elevation mountains, leaving forests filled with blowdowns and standing dead trees. Dense vegetation grows in infested areas. Much of the high country is above timberline. The steepest parts are rugged mountains with big rock slides and much exposed rock with alpine tundra in basins. Most of the unit is thickly forested with primarily conifers on high slopes and aspens at middle elevations.Engelmann spruces mingle with lodgepole pines and lush high elevation meadows in the high country. Douglas firs, aspens, grass meadows and sagebrush grow at middle elevations, while pinyon/juniper woodlands, sagebrush, oak brush, grasses and other browse grow in the low places. There are many springs, small lakes and perennial streams.

Access County roads give access to public land. Roads are not maintained once snow falls and trucks need tire chains. To avoid crowded hunting, get away from roads. No vehicles are allowed in the designated wilderness acreage in this unit. Some of the many access points include Kinney Creek, Lake Evely and Keyser Ridge roads.The south half of the unit end of the unit has ample amount of forest and BLM for hunters to hunt.  ]Well-maintained roads at low and middle elevationsATVs are recommended but not necessarySnow and rain can impede travelMuch remote wilderness terrain

I have been looking at CPW atlas along with my OnX and info from GoHunt.  Been looking at high elevation meadows that are in general 2-3 mile hike from a road.  I had heard on another forum the bark beetles had killed alot of pines in the area leaving tons dead stand and blown down trees,  I figured this would put good amounts of vegetation on the ground for cows (I will be archery cow hunting).    With the rut ramping up at that time I figured the bulls would be trying to wrangle cows.

It's very true about the beetle killed trees, but keep in mind that the entire region there has the same issue, so Unit 28 won't be alone in attracting elk because of that.

Although this pic was taken in Wyoming last year, blow down beetle kill does not make for good vegetation growth

Its not like this everywhere, some place are better.
Elk will avoid it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back