Colorado

BrentLaBere

Jan 7, 2013
Colorado is third in line for this years application/planning process. If or when I need to fall back on this plan, id like to be ready for it. I am curious to what people experience for dates and pressure, in general. Something I havent had to deal with yet is another season/weapon during my hunt. Archery is my go to and I am curious if the guys that usually hunt Colorado avoid the ML season? Do you plan before or after those season dates? Are the elk pushed around like they would be during a rifle season?
Ive also heard plenty of stories how popular and crowded Colorado can be. What do you guys consider busy/crowded? Im not sure it can get any more crowded than where ive hunted before.
Only one month to go before we can start playing the application game.

This is just what I have seen in my part of the state. It may differ in other areas. For muzzle loader season, there will be a bunch of hunters. They usually hunt all day Saturday and do a morning hunt on Sunday. Then they pack up camp and head back to Denver Sunday evening. There will still be a few that hang around but for the most part there aren't enough of them left to bother or worry about. A few may return for the second weekend but not near as many of them.

I generally stay home the first weekend and let them do their thing. Then it is back to normal archery hunting from then on. Actually, I have never had any real problems with the smoke polers. 

This past fall I archery hunted during the last 1/2 of ML season and I was prepared to see lots of orange.

Wow. Did I mis-judge that one!

Hardly a pumpkin was seen.

Back when I muzzleloader hunted Colorado, in the area I hunted there were very few other hunters and those that were there usually didn't look like pumpkins but more like trees... Most of the time I was the only pumpkin in the area... :-D :-D

To say that it can vary from spot to spot is a HUGE understatement.  I've only heard a few shots in 10 years in my go to otc area and its statistically one of the most crowded units.  In CO a hunter has to be very smart in picking spots.  Hunters are predictable.  Don't go to those predictable spots;  end of FR roads, obvious camp spots, obvious basins, etc. and you can find great hunting.

Thanks guys.
Ive found that to be true in the area ive hunted the last few years with pressure and where other hunters will be. Thats the biggest reason I will be nervous if I have to hunt a new state. Also, in a way hoping for a new adventure.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back