Colorado's jungle gym

Dec 30, 2012
went to gmu371 this year to hunt elk. Talked to 3 different people on this unit before I decided to hunt it and none of them mentioned anything about all of the pine beetle kill and blow down in the area. chit man thought I was in a jungle gym stepping over, crawling over, ducking under and walking around blow down about ever 10 steps or so. I new it was going to be tough, I've been in the mountains before and haven't had any trouble hiking in. I went in about 2 miles and it felt like I went 20 miles stepping over or ducking under everything the whole way. Is this a normal thing for Colorado now where nobody would mention this to me? If someone would have told me maybe to reconsider my choice because of all the blow down in the area, at least I would've had a heads up. I feel they should have to disclose this to the hunters that call on these units, I'm from out of state, I can't just decide to go scout any unit that I want to hunt like the locals can. They need a map of these units to show how bad the blow down is in that particular area. Are all the gmu's like this or can you still find units without a ton of beetle kill and blow down? I know I wasn't in top notch shape, but I'm not a couch potato either. any advice on a better unit would be appreciated. thanks in advance

You'll find that terrain almost anywhere in Colorado. I've been hiking all season through thick timber and heavy blowdown areas. Most people won't walk it which is why the elk like it there.

Welcome to Colorado! it's like that everywhere. Some spots are worse than others, but you can't get away from it. Best of luck!

You might want to change your username from "nolimit" to "CO blowdowns are my limit" lol!  It's bad but the blowdowns are in select areas.  If one drainage is exceptionally bad the next might be much better.  Also a drainage between two wickedly blown down ridges might be blowdown free.  I have seen elk in non-blowdown pockets but not directly in the blowdown areas.  I bet they cuss as much as we do about the blowdowns!

no limits said:
went to gmu371 this year to hunt elk. Talked to 3 different people on this unit before I decided to hunt it and none of them mentioned anything about all of the pine beetle kill and blow down in the area. chit man thought I was in a jungle gym stepping over, crawling over, ducking under and walking around blow down about ever 10 steps or so. I new it was going to be tough, I've been in the mountains before and haven't had any trouble hiking in. I went in about 2 miles and it felt like I went 20 miles stepping over or ducking under everything the whole way. Is this a normal thing for Colorado now where nobody would mention this to me? If someone would have told me maybe to reconsider my choice because of all the blow down in the area, at least I would've had a heads up. I feel they should have to disclose this to the hunters that call on these units, I'm from out of state, I can't just decide to go scout any unit that I want to hunt like the locals can. They need a map of these units to show how bad the blow down is in that particular area. Are all the gmu's like this or can you still find units without a ton of beetle kill and blow down? I know I wasn't in top notch shape,but I'm not a couch potato either. any advice on a better unit would be appreciated. thanks in advance

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back