Communicating between partners. Hand signals? Noises? Etc

Kdkehoe

Aug 9, 2017
What?s everyone do when I?m calling setups or going in silent to communicate with their hunting partners?

What works well? What doesn?t/hasn?t?

We use cow calls to signal when it?s time to move or when you want the other person to come to you.  Three in a row, very close together. 

Another thing I think I learned from Brad was actually being silent. 
If we are doing a call sequence we have a set order we go in. 1 calls, then 2, then 3. 
Well if one stops calling and doesn?t call on their turn, you know they see an elk or have one close by.

DTP said:
We use cow calls to signal when it?s time to move or when you want the other person to come to you.  Three in a row, very close together. 

If we are doing a call sequence we have a set order we go in. 1 calls, then 2, then 3. 
Well if one stops calling and doesn?t call on their turn, you know they see an elk or have one close by.
explain this some more please?  i think i am liking this.

Boom said:
DTP said:

explain this some more please?  i think i am liking this.

I am sure Brad can give a better explanation about how he did his, but how I took it and what I am doing is....

Take your three man team and make a triangle to start a cold call set up.
Person 1 one will start the sequence. After a set time then caller one will stop, pause (minute or a couple), and then caller two will pick up. Then caller two will stop and caller three will pick up. REPEAT.

So now you have to figure out a way to communicate with your team when an elk comes in. You know the sequence and amount of time that should be spaced between each caller. Well if someone sees an elk or is near an elk, they will not go silent.  If the pause time is exceeded then the other callers will now that elk are near.
You now have the option of remaining silent in hopes they continue in. Or depending on your game plan the other calls can start alternating in hopes to draw the elk in close to the silent shooter.

Our group all uses to Hoochi Mama elk calls to communicate between caller and shooters.

3 squeeks from Caller = everyone set?
3 squeeks from shooters = yes

after calling sequence:

3 squeeks from Caller = are we done?
3 squeeks from shooters = yes

The hoochi Mama calls make it easy to distinguish.

One thing to consider is giving the shooter, who presumably is in the best position for knowing the animals whereabouts, the ultimate call on the status of the situation- primarily when the sequence should end. In the beginning, line of sight works well to start off, but the caller may want to move depending on approach. At the completion of a sequence, shot, setup, develop a communication through cow calling and consider the shooter to be theone to move back to the caller(s).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back