Compound tuning and spine?

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
I recently obtained a new RER recurve and some new arrow shafts. In order to tune the recurve I installed a nock and weighted point. I shot the arrow that went into the target leaning hard left indicating my spine was too weak. I slowly shortened the arrow until it entered straight in. Cut almost 3 1/2 inches off the shaft to get it tuned. I will now fletch it.
Now, the recurve is shot off a shelf and the only adjustment is arrow spine or string nock height. On my compound I shoot a QAD rest that adjusts left and right and some up and down. If I buy a new set of arrows and try to shaft tune them for correct spine strength, I could also be dealing with the rest being out of adjustment. So, should the rest be tuned first with fletched arrows, then tune the shafts to spine length?  I have tuned my QAD rest by the walk back method and it was brought into line. I stripped the feathers off an arrow today and shot it finding it leaned to the left a little indicating the shaft is weak or could it be the rest is out of adjustment......what comes first the chicken or the egg?

I have never tuned without vains. There are enough easy tools out there now to get you close, then it just takes fine tuning to dial it in. making sure you arrow is level and has a good center shot it pretty much the first key. Once the practice arrows look good, then put on the broad heads and you will then need to fine tune those.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back