CONTEST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
Who is ready for a great hunting season, to have some fun, and possibly win some GREAT prizes?

With hunting season upon us, we figure it was time to kick off the season with another contest! We love hearing all of your stories, seeing your pictures, and hearing about your experiences, so why not  have a contest that combines them all?

This contest will run from September 1st through November 30th (1200 CST)

Each member is eligible for five entries into the contest so the more entries you have, the better your odds!
Entry 1: Camp life! Post a picture of your 2017 hunting camp.
Entry 2: From the field! Post a picture from the field on your 2017 hunt.
Entry 3: Great success! Post a picture of your 2017 harvest. (Any legal animal)
Entry 4: A-Ha moment! Post a lesson learned from your 2017 season.
Entry 5: Tell us a story! Share a small story from your 2017 hunt.

YOU ENTRIES MUST BE POSTED IN THIS THREAD.
If you post a story or a picture on the main forum, there is no need to double post.
Just post the link in here and what entry it counts for.

EXAMPLE: "To see my success picture, see here: LINK"
"To see my camp picture, see here: LINK"

At the end of the contest we will use a random number generator to select the winner! Be sure to make each of your posts separately so you get credit for each entry!

To be eligible for winning this contest you must be in good standing on the forum with no infraction within the last 12 months and must have a minimum of 10 posts by the time the contest is done.

Now, for the good stuff.........

The winner of this contest will be able to select from a list of prizes from either VORTEX OPTICS or SITKA GEAR!!!!!!  I will post the listing here in a couple weeks, but we have some great stuff to chose from like: range finders, scopes, binocs, or pants, vests, jackets, etc.

Good luck to everyone and please enjoy! ;D

The winner will have their choice of the following prizes:

Sitka 90% Pants (34T) - Open Country

Sitka Kelvin Lite Vest (M) - Open Country
Sitka Kelvin Active Jacket (XL) - Open Country
Sitka Jetstream Vest (L - Moss) (M - Black)
Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody (L or XL - Black)
Sitka Bino Bivy - Subalpine
Vortex Ranger 1000 or 1500 Rangefinder
Vortex Diamondback 3.5 - 10 x 50 Dead Hold BDC riflescope

Vortex Viper HD 10x42 binocular
Vortex Vulture HD 15x56 binocular

Kdkehoe said:
Wewehhhaaaatttt?!  What a cool way to log your experiences AND enter a contest!!  8)

We aim to please.  ;D
Good luck in the contest, I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone's season and seeing pictures.

great..no pressure trying to wack something now.  :D

i'll pose next to roadkill if i have to..

Here we go!

My truck camp is always similar, 6 man tent, cots, grill, etc. all the essentials! I didn't take a photo of my backpack trip. As soon as it was set up we went hunting and I killed an elk about an hour later...than we never slept in camp since we packed out an elk all night. Ha!

Attachments

• Camp.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 16
My A-Ha! moment was when I had my first elk bugle just above me. Everything I'd been reading about, the videos I'd watched, the visions in my head...all came together and it's like I knew EXACTLY what to do in that exact instance. I never once doubted my next move and told my son to do exactly what I did; move when I move, stop when I stop, etc.

There are a lot of things that could have gone wrong, and I admit that we were very lucky or fortunate! We could have entered the woods in a different opening but we chose that exact one. We could have tried to call the bull out into the meadow, we could have advanced too aggressively, the bull could have circled around us...everything fell into its place and not once did I doubt a move we made. The A-ha moment? The preparations I had made finally maid off!

My short story:

After deciding we were not going to pursue the bull at the bottom of The Hell Hole™ we moved another 1/4 mile along the spine of the overgrown ridge, to the east and set up in a meadow. It was mentioned that since this meadow was so quiet that we should stick to cow calls. With three of us in the group we tried a modified version of the triangle set up but with my son only being 15 and the fact I have to have him in sight at all times while hunting the set up wasn't going as I had hoped plus, we had JUST heard bugles 15 minutes ago in another spot! I felt I had to try a locator bugle. As my ears cleared from the ringing of my bugle I was met with three very distinct bugles, one of which I suspected was another hunter! It was the bull that was chuckling that I pegged though! I wanted to meet this bruiser and I brought my A game! He'd bugle, I'd bugle...he'd chuckle I'd chuckle...when he'd go quiet I'd cow call...and as he'd bugle we'd move in closer! It was everything I'd ever dreamed an elk hunt could be!!! The final challenge bugle was what brought him in though, on a frozen rope! I tried looking through my rangefinder but I was shaking too much. I let it hang on its tether and drew my bow. As this bull made its way toward me I heard my son quietly position himself on the other side of the tree I was near. "Great thinking, son! If he goes that way he's ALL yours!", is what I was thinking. The bull approached a downed tree that was 25 yards away, and turned my direction, then stopped slightly quartering to me. Everything went beautifully calm in my mind and that's when I finally looked through the peep. I found my anchor expecting this amazing animal to spook at any moment but he didn't. It was his last mistake. I found the mark, released my arrow and heard the sound of an animal being struck with a carefully placed projectile. He ran, but only for a few seconds. He died 27 yards from where he was last standing, looking for a fight. My day had finally come and my son was right by my side, just as I had always hoped.

BrentLaBere said:
I think were supposed to post in the forum and not this thread?> I could be wrong
Either way works fine! If you post in the forum, go ahead and put a link to it in here so we are sure to include the entry.

As an example:
Find my story here: link
Find my aha moment here: link

etc.

Make sure to make each item a separate post so you get an entry for each one of them!

BTW, great story Tom!

Here is a photo from the field....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
12f23db7c318598e16298bdf065ad924.jpg

4. A-ha moment
Was when on 2 different setups the elk did not want to come out of the thick stuff and into the more open timber. I will try to get into thick areas  before calling in the future.

5. Story
On the 14th a buddy and I went into an area we had hunted earlier in the week. We started hearing bugles pretty quick and headed towards them. We made it to an opening we were familiar with at dawn. The bulls were still above us about 3-400 yards. We went up about another 200 and set up. Cow called for 5 min or so and he bugled about 100 yards up. Called more and heard steps coming then saw him moving to my right about 50 yards out. He stopped behind a clump of timber and bugled. He comes back to my left then starts coming straight at me. I draw. At 20 he turns left and i have a good lane and let it fly. The arrow passes thru and he stops at 30 looking around. I can see the shot was good but i knock another arrow anyway. As i draw he runs off and only went 50 more yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back