Contra Thermals in Colorado High Country

gto

Jun 2, 2013
In University of Elk Hunting Corey mentions how to use thermals in determining your set up - then he goes on to say that the high country of Colorado, hunting tundra above 11,000 feet, is an exception to this guidance. That is exactly where I hunt - between 11,000 and 12,000 feet in the Colorado mountains. The elk generally bed low and feed high - moving exactly the opposite of the change in thermals. I regularly get stuck with bulls and cows moving up slope at 5 pm, just as the thermals are switching to flow downslope and carry my scent to the elk.
How do you set up in these circumstances?

I would think staying out of the direct path between bedding and feeding areas, and call the bull over perpendicular to their normal route with some "lost cow" calling and maybe a challenge bugle.  Bulls are more likely to go out of their way if they do not have to go uphill, so pull them over when they're on or near your altitude of the hill.  Also... scent cover spray and scent-locking clothes.  I've been really impressed on my ability to have the wind at my back and have the elk seem none-the-wiser.

I've been thinking about the same thing myself.  I'm hunting unit 45 at timberline in the muzzleloader season this Sept.  I am planning on setting up camp across the valley from where I expect the elk to be a couple days before the season starts so I can see where the elk are feeding and bedding.  If they are where I expect them to be then in the early AM I plan on hiking down across the valley from my campsite and then up from below just to the edge of the timber and waiting for them to come back down to bed. 

Assuming I know where the elk are in the middle of the day, I'll try to approach from the same elevation and get close enough to call a bull in.

In the late afternoon/early evening, I'll try setting up shop in some krumholtz near a game trail or stream at timberline and hope they come close enough for a shot. 

Of course, the elk probably won't be where I expect them and none of this will play out as I've imagined it, but it sure is fun. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back