Controlling Adrenaline

IdahoElkHunter

Feb 24, 2014
How do you control your adrenaline when drawn back on a bull? I missed on a bull Sunday morning at 15 yards because my finger was twitching, which hit the trigger on my release (of course!). How do you relax and focus when you have a bull that close?
any info is appreciated.

For me it came down to more encounters. The more I had the better I can control my "bull fever" I still get it but not as bad. Another thing that has helped me is I count when I hit full draw, whether it's practice or the real thing. I don't always trigger the release on the same number. When I am settled in on target I'll trigger the release, it might be on 5 or could be on 12. Just seems to settle me down and take my mind off the fever. After I release however I can hardly stand up my legs are shaking so bad. I think if you completely loose the feeling it is time quit hunting. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're right RUTTIN. It was my very first time bugling in a bull, and having him that close... well I felt like I was about to lose control of all bodily functions.
Thank you both for the responses!

Ok i suffer from buck fever or we can call it bull fever in this case probably more than any one i know. to the point where i almost quit bow hunting just because i felt i was more dangerous to the game than deadly. when i start hearing that crunch of foot steps before i can even see the animal i start to shake uncontrollably and loose most basic brain functions. im pretty sure i didnt even aim at the first few deer i ever shot at.

Now i pride myself on shooting and accuracy i have been shooting since i was big enough to hold a bow off the ground and big enough to cock a red ryder and shoot like its my job. i shoot a couple days a week have all my life from the old stick bow as a kid up to my current day Matthews and every gun i own gets a work out every couple weeks. nothing cures my buck acres ever, now with a rifle i solved it by not thinking and snap shooting once i decided to harvest the animal.

With my bow it was a disaster i just couldnt keep it together and was about to stop hunting with it just because i was scared i would wound something and i couldnt live with that. one of what was going to be my last hunts two does came by my stand and i didnt even draw back shaking like a wet dog from there presence already i nearly peed my pants when a massive buck hit the edge of a far clearing in search of the two does. seeing that he lost there trail and that he was going to go the other way i snatched my grunt tube out and let out a bellow and then snort wheezed at him and he immediately turned like a tank and started the slow march to me. seeing this i almost lost complete control of all functions,but my body was in automatic i hit the grunt snort wheez again picked my spot at 25 yards and drew my bow watching his rack sway back and fourth with every lock step he made i knew i was going to miss again, but this time i stopped i closed my eyes and started talking my self through the shot.

Stop looking at the rack! i moved my bow towards the 25 yard spot look through your peep check, see your whole sight in the peep check, look at the pin check, behind the shoulder check, relax  breath and add pressure to the trigger shwack! the buck jumped and went crashing away. my head was spinning i wasnt even sure what i had just did i almost collapsed in my stand. after a minute or two i knew i needed  to wait but the dark was coming as fast as it could and i had no light with me it was in the truck.

I got down and with what my hunting buddy could only refer to as the fastest walk with out running he ever saw intercepted me as i was swinging around the truck ripping the door open and coming up with my mag light. he asked did you shoot? and i said i hit him but i dont know how good it was kind of a blur once the arrow left hell i didnt even know it left till he jumped. he tried to keep up with me back across the field and into the woods when i got to the spot where the deer was i started scouring the ground for blood and was in a panic because i saw nothing. when my buddy rounded the tree and looked at my face he said this is where it starts? and pointed to my feet i was standing on the blood spatter that i thought wasnt there and about five yards from there was a painted trail to a massive whitetail deer.

since this hunt i still shake like a leaf in the cold winter wind but i now talk my self through every shot close my eyes and focus only on the shot not the animal not what he is doing not how big not the roar of the bugle or the grunt of the buck watch the feet and bury the pin in the sight through the peep with a squeeze of the release into the kill zone. refocus the shot lol i know its easier said than done but breath and shoot brother aim small miss small clear your mind best as you can         

Like Ruttin said, it comes down to more encounters...but, bull fever will never go away.

Before I hunt, I always envision a scene where a big bull walks out and I calm myself down, take a breath, and take the shot. Replay that in your mind as needed. Bugling with a bull? Replay it. Stalking the herd. Replay it. Sounds dumb, but it works for me.

I think most are so surprised when they get a bull to come in and get so excited and nervous its happening because its a total surprise. Everytime you are out, expect that you will see elk and have shot opportunities....it wont be as much of a surprise and you'll be more prepared mentally to execute.

Good luck, stick with it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back