Cover scents

jvanhoy

Jun 24, 2015
Just wondering what most of you use for cover scent? I'm from VA and always use fresh earth for deer hunting. It smells just like the dark dirt in the woods but dont seem to match anything in CO where i elk hunt. I tried some pine scent i found at bass pro last year but almost had a weird perfume smell. Thanks a bunch and good luck this year. Can't wait to make that 28 hour drive in 56 days! Not that im counting. Ha ha

I've never used scents. I just make sure that I'm down wind of the critter before I try an sort of calling or stalking. I've had elk within 3 feet of me and they didn't run. I know they could smell me because I could smell them! I've also had elk that were 100 yards away and busted me from the wind. I'm sure that scents help, but I'm not sure how much. I think that it all depends on the critter (age, gender, mood of the animal, and how much pressure they have gotten.) I figure that after a day or two of hiking that I stink as bad as they do so we get along just fine haha!

I never use cover scents but I always carry cow elk pee in a small spray bottle.  spray it on the tree I'm next to. Can help sometimes if a cow gets too close.

I also never use cover scents. I use to be fanatical about being scent free - impossible. Bathed with antibacterial soap, dried myself with a towel that was washed in scent free hunter laundry detergent & hung outside for days. Used scent free deodorant & didn't put my hunting clothes on until I was at my hunting sight and out of the vehicle. I'd take my clothes out of the air tight bag & try not to sweat getting to my stand then I'd spray myself down. If I had a deer & the wind was wrong it was gone. Wasted energy for a process that does not work. I've watched hunting shows when the wind shifted & the game spooked after they had applied their sponsors scent free spray. It's a money making gimmic in my opinion.

I like to throw my elk hunting clothes in garbage bag full of pine tree branches. When I do my pack in hunts I also use campfire smoke to cover my smell. I like to keep elk pee in my pocket to check the wind and such but I never spray it on myself. Then you won't know if your smelling elk or the pee you sprayed on your clothes.

Thanks everyone. Those who use elk pee do you keep from a kill or buy it? Anyone out there who believes in any other spray cover scents?

only thing i have  ever used is camp fire smoke if i have a fire , nothing does or will ever come close to working as good in my opinion . but most times I use nothing at all

I just buy cow in heat at Cabelas or Bob wards. I use it to confuse that curious cow (usually a calf) who comes in to see what's cooking. A last ditch effort not to spook the cows befor the bull appears. I've actually had calves lick and rub the tree I sprayed before. Calves are kinda dumb tho so take that for what it's worth.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back