Cow calls

lkhunter

Aug 25, 2015
When I first started elk hunting (4 years ago), I just went to my local sporting goods store and bought some cheap Primos and other brand cow calls and a bugle.  Each year I buy a different call or 2 to try out (usually because I lose at least 1).  What are some of the smaller call makers out there so I can get away from the calls everyone else has?
Im thinking a Callmasters Woods Wise Hyperhot would be a good one.

Any other thoughts on cow calling?  I rarely bugle as I am not confident in doing it yet and I have had more luck cow calling anyway.
Thanks

I believe a mouth diaphragm call makes the best cow sounds...I also use a Hoochie Mama on my belt and I Maka the Bull Crazy call for back-ups.

nclonghunter said:
I believe a mouth diaphragm call makes the best cow sounds...I also use a Hoochie Mama on my belt and I Maka the Bull Crazy call for back-ups.

I use diaphragms a lot also, I have both the Hoochie Mama and ImakaDaBullCrazy, plus a few others.  Trying to get away from the calls everyone has though.

I just get a handful of diaphragms every year. I think everyone sounds different cow calling with diaphragms so I think this helps me mentally feel like they haven't heard this call before.
Have 2 push buttons (hoochie and Carlton) and a matriarch open reed call at all times. The matriarch is my go to cow call to get responses

Phelps game calls are awesome.  I use mouth calls and external reed calls and love them.  They make sure pure elk sounds, well as long as you practice with them.  Bugling bull game calls are also a great call.

Thanks, I'll have to run to the shop and see what they got. Still have a few diaphragm calls, but wanted to pick up my wife something easy to use, her first year elk hunting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back