Cows or Bulls coming in?

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
I have just a few years of hunting elk, but I have called in two calls and 8 bulls in the four years I have been hunting. Two years it was extremely hot and little to no action happening.  I know we target the bulls but I use the cow calls alot. Do you call in more cows than bulls on the average or are bulls mostly responding.
If you had only a cow tag what would you change to get more cows coming in to you?  By being better at getting cows to come in, would that bring more bulls in following them.

I have only been elk hunting for one year in which I called in and shot a 5x5 in N. Idaho.  During the course of my season, I called in, and came to full draw on 4 bulls.  I called in an additional 2-3 others that I never got to see but knew they were bulls either buy antlers on tree sounds, or bugles.  I did call in a couple of cows, but mostly I got bulls coming to me.  I used bugles to locate, and cow calls to close the distance. 

Yup, we use both cow and bull calls but mostly call in bulls during our season here in WA. We get cows to respond but they usually are in groups and will call back and forth pretty much to let you know where they are at. If a cow has moved away from the rest and hears you she may come over to check you out but normally they stay together. This is ok since you are just locating them anyway so you can go check out the situation :)

It's funny to me, but if everyone had to hunt cows only, it may be harder to call them in than a bull......that's almost a challenge!

I will pass, I'm after the bull

Good God Man!  Elk are a very social animal and they all will react to what ever call.  The trick is what week your hunting and if the cows are in the "mood" bulls will sure to come once the hey I'm Horney and over here call is played

Where I hunt in North Idaho- before and after the arrival of wolves, I haven't had much luck with cows coming to my calls. Which is good since Im after the bulls anyway.

Here in southeast Idaho I call in almost exclusively bulls but I am targeting bulls so that is fine with me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back