Cut the meat up in camp?

Pig_Pen

Feb 25, 2013
The stars have aligned, your shot was true and after a grueling day of packing your meat back to camp, what is your next move? Schedule aside and cold weather permitting, do you cut and wrap your meat up in camp or head straight to the nearest locker?
Here in Illinois I prefer to cut my meat up myself (processors are swamped here) to ensure I KNOW who's meat I am getting? What has been your experience with the local processors out west (Colorado)?
Thanks in advance!

I usually bone out everything and pack it out but do not cut and wrap in the field. I agree though, I much prefer to butcher it myself so I know what I am getting back.

Nick

We have done our own for several years assuming we have cool enough temps and time.  It is amazing how many elk quarters you can get In a fridge.  Wife doesn't always appreciate it, but she will still roll up her sleeves and help too.

I usually quarter in the field, hang or place in a large cooler and then bone out at home.  If I was deep in the back country, I would likely bone all the way to save weight.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back