Daughters That Hunt

I'm so glad to see the right kind of advice here.

Get them started early, as early as possible. My girls have shot bows and .22's since they were 3yrs old because they wanted too. They see me do it and figure it must be fun. My wife doesn't hunt or shoot, but she knows I'm safe and supports it. My oldest daughter no longer is interested, but she shoots with me occasionally. My youngest is head over heels about shooting and hunting.

Go at their pace and make it about them. If you're not ready to manage a child in the woods, or your hunt is more important than their experience, then don't bring them. Its worse to give them a bad experience then to have no experience at all.

Let them experience all aspects. My kids have always had full access as I butcher and process my game animals. When they were little I told them I had to "make it into meat". They understood that much. As they got older I was able to explain where steaks come from and hamburgers or hotdogs because I make all that too.
My wife runs a home daycare and every kid that's ever been through my house knows I hunt and has seen or touched a wild animal. Its part of their education. When they learn it at 3yrs old they don't get freaked out as they do if you don't introduce it until they are 12.

I have two girls, 12 and 10. My 12yr old hunted with me and shot with me up until this year. Shes not interested right now so I don't push it. She still loves being outdoors and thats good enough for me. My 10yr old is cannot get enough of hunting and for that I'm blessed. She was with me last year when I shot a deer. She had her own first hunting license this year and saw several deer in the woods including bucks sparring. She can't wait for turkey season and hunting next fall. She wants to keep shooting her bow all winter and asks to watch hunting videos with me. She is also the top morel mushroom hunter in our house. Its almost worth keeping her around. ;)

There is some great advice here, I love the list "Sol" and MNarcher said it perfectly, make it about them and hunt on their time. They may just view the day as a hike and do not get mad at them for being a child. The more you understand their curiosity and lack of patience the better time you will have with their discovery. 

I'll skip giving advice and go straight to bragging. Not only can my baby girls tag it and bag it, they are as beautiful as their mother. I kid you not, if they wanted to start their own TV show, they's have it in a minute. When they first started hunting without "daddy" they would make comedy hunting videos and give advice such as "why is it important to carry toilet paper". My wife and I are in the process of adopting a baby girl of 12 months. To bond with her when she first came to us, I laid on the floor next to her watching elk hunting videos. In two days, she was grunting whenever an elk came on the screen. I do not deserve the blessing God has given in having daughters that hunt with me. Derserve it or not, I'm running with it!

Attachments

• Hunting at Ranch 2009 069 - Copy.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 4
Out of 7 kids the only ones that still hunt are my girls.Lots of good times.Have taken out lots of hunters over the years and I prefer to take a female kid or adult any time,love the  adituid and drive way better.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 003.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 038.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 31
I Have two Daughters ages 7 and 4. My oldest has tagged along with me for years on my hunting and fishing day trips. Last year was the first year my youngest showed any interest is coming. I try and take them on good weather days. I give them some old binno's and let them tote around their bb guns.
11041_1125832834695_7773772_n.jpg
11041_1125832914697_7786701_n.jpg
521659_2933205617885_1791528721_n.jpg
586_3786652993536_1118052214_n.jpg
250718_3590467649025_1729555931_n.jpg
262393_3590650053585_289210557_n.jpg

I have 2 daughters and a son and they are all interested in hunting. They have been invited to go on scouting trips with me since they could walk. I have never pushed it on them. My 11 year old daughter is scheduled to take her Hunters safety in a few weeks. I will be putting her in on one of the local youth elk hunts this year(Keno/Sprague). My youngest daughter(6) shows more interest at her age then any of the other kids. She will sit with me and watch hunting movies, asking lots of questions. I definitely think the biggest thing is making it fun.

My 8 year old who is my youngest, has started shooting in the 4-h club has fallen in love with shooting. she wants a 22 for her birthday and a Bow.

http://youtu.be/WnO1J1y9UQ8
This is a little clip of my daughter at some of the shoots, she even helped make the video.

I have two 10 month old daughters and I just sent in the application for their lifetime hunting and fishing licenses.  I'm not going to push it but they will have every opportunity to try it out.  The one good thing about WV is they don't have to wait until they are a certain age to hunt and as soon as they start showing interest in it, I'll take em out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back