Daypacks

razorback

Mar 11, 2014
Anybody got any experience with a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850. I\'m currently using an Eberlestock X2 for a daypack and would like to go with something lighter but still capable for packing out a quarter should I kill or one of my partners kill. I am also looking at a Badlands 2200 and tried one of those. They seem to fit me really well. I have plenty of time to research. I would like to purchase sometime in the spring to so I can use it to work out with. The X2 is okay but seems to wear on me after awhile and just doesn\'t fit as well as I would like. Heard some good things about Kuiu but some bad as well. I had also considered a Kuiu in a larger size as they are so light and would compress down to daypack size.

Steven,

I have the Horn Hunter full curl and it is the best pack I\'ve ever owned.

Very large, very comfy, and affordable.

I will take pics and a vid here in a few.

dan, steve tried on my full curl..... he agreed with me, its just too big for a day pack.

\"zpd307\" said:
dan, steve tried on my full curl..... he agreed with me, its just too big for a day pack.

Unless you\'re Dan and you pack 80lbs of gear with you :haha: :tease:

the badlands is pretty good. i took out two quarter - rears in two trips with my 2800 which is just like that 2200. not EXCELLENT in comfort, but honestly, i dont think ANY pack will make a load feel lighter. but it held tight, the hip straps worked, and i got the load out fine. it is the easiest to load. just pull out that load strap and hug the load with the wings..no fussing.

i got rid of the pack because the material loved to grab thorns and burrs. pulling thorns out nightly with a headlamp was a deal breaker for me.

\"cohunter14\" said:
\"zpd307\" said:

Unless you\'re Dan and you pack 80lbs of gear with you :haha: :tease:
when that\'s the case, one would need that pack :D

Aaron Johnson had a Kuiu when Cole got his bull.
It had a frame inside that he took out we packed out hind quarters like a dream
Not sure the model tho

\"razorback\" said:
I think that\'s what I have been looking at. I\'ll send him a pm. Thanks

I contacted Aaron about his pack a few weeks ago, I am pretty sure his is the Icon. The Icon Pro is supposed to have an upgraded frame and some other nice additions. It came very highly recommended from a guy on another forum that pretty much has used every pack under the sun. I was sold on an Icon Pro 5200 until I found a Kifaru Duplex Mountain Warrior like new with 4 pockets and the guide lid for $500 shipped :dance2: . I didn\'t want to spend that much but I couldn\'t pass on that deal.

As I told you already, Mark, you got a steal of a buy. The Mountain Warrior is the best pack I\'ve ever worn (and I\'ve tried quite a few before buying it). I wore mine every day for 24 days straight and did no less than 12 miles in a day (some days over 20 miles, all tracked with my watch). I also packed out my bull with my huntn buddy in one shot so to say I tested it would be an extreme understatement. It has a daypack mode that snugs it down to a nice sleek pack. I also shot my bull wearing the pack. I can\'t say enough about it. For anyone considering this pack, it is FAR better than you are imagining.

\"otcWill\" said:
As I told you already, Mark, you got a steal of a buy. The Mountain Warrior is the best pack I\'ve ever worn (and I\'ve tried quite a few before buying it). I wore mine every day for 24 days straight and did no less than 12 miles in a day (some days over 20 miles, all tracked with my watch). I also packed out my bull with my huntn buddy in one shot so to say I tested it would be an extreme understatement. It has a daypack mode that snugs it down to a nice sleek pack. I also shot my bull wearing the pack. I can\'t say enough about it. For anyone considering this pack, it is FAR better than you are imagining.

I can\'t wait to hit the hills with it. I want to work on getting it tweaked in with weight. This is the last big piece of gear I wanted. It was not an absolute need but it was a great deal and I couldn\'t pass it up. The buy once cry once guys got through to me I guess.

I am only looking for a few minor things to add to my gear list so hopefully I am done spending money for a while.....Hopefully.

I\'ll check one of those out too. If memory serves me correct Kifaru cost a pretty penny. I do believe in the buy once cry once though. Are those packs as light as the Kuiu packs? I don\'t think I need much more than a good daypack with the ability to pack out a quarter. If the mountain warrior is too big anybody recommend a Kifaru bag that is daypack size? I have never really looked at Kifaru before I just know they are expensive so I checked them off my list when looking at packs last year. Now that I know I\'ll be elk hunting for years to come a good pack seems more like an investment rather than an expense. I just don\'t know that I need one that will keep up with Will though :D

\"razorback\" said:
I\'ll check one of those out too. If memory serves me correct Kifaru cost a pretty penny. I do believe in the buy once cry once though. Are those packs as light as the Kuiu packs? I don\'t think I need much more than a good daypack with the ability to pack out a quarter. If the mountain warrior is too big anybody recommend a Kifaru bag that is daypack size? I have never really looked at Kifaru before I just know they are expensive so I checked them off my list when looking at packs last year. Now that I know I\'ll be elk hunting for years to come a good pack seems more like an investment rather than an expense. I just don\'t know that I need one that will keep up with Will though :D

There is a lot of information out there with regard to pack weight and I am pretty much a novice but I have researched it quite a bit. From what I understand, Aron at Kifaru can get you in a pack that is equivalent to a Kuiu in weight. However.....many will sacrifice weight for a bulletproof setup that doesn\'t leave you in a pickle on the mountain. I am not implying that these lighter packs aren\'t great and will fail I am simply saying that many don\'t want to chance a failure over a few ounces.

I would about guarantee you that Kifaru has a bag that would fit the bill for you. Give them a call if you have interest in their packs. From what I understand they are great to talk to and give awesome service.

I have been on their website. Sure would like to find a deal on their frame on a classified site and then shop for the bag. They look pretty slick but dang they are pricey! I see they offer a few different frame options. I hav no idea which one would suit me best. They are quite different in design than Kuiu. They may be overkill for a daypack! I have a feeling Will and I don\'t hunt the same at all. Wished I could hunt like him but probably not physically possible.

You guys have gotten my interest in this as well. Will, would you mind posting some pics of your pack if you get a chance? I went to Kifaru\'s site as well and the pictures are very minimal. I\'d like to know what the base setup looks like compared to when you add a pack. Are you adding a pack for overnight pack trips or just to help in packing out an animal?

I have seen some used Kifaru packs for sale on Rokslide but I would have no idea what I was buying as I have never really looked into them. I think a guy could find a deal on one as they seem to have a cult like following and guys buy and sell/upgrade all the time. I had always figured they were more for guys like Will who was able to do 10 or 12 miles a day and live out of a pack. I would be interested in a small one if light enough and found the right deal! I would like to see one in person though and I doubt many guys in southern Missouri would have one and likely have never heard of them.

I\'m still liking the Kuiu packs as well though especially comparing the prices and how I would likely use the pack.

I admit that all of the options from Kifaru makes it a little overwhelming. I spent a little time reading forums about them and watching a lot of the videos on their website. The only reason I even considered one was due to the fact that Kifaru is one of the only companies that made packs for tall people. Kuiu is one of the other companies that offers packs for longer torsos. For a guy who can hunt the west at most 2 weeks a year I just couldn\'t justify the cost of a Kifaru. Given the difference in price I was pretty much sold on Kuiu. From what I have read many will say that Kuiu is a great option for mid priced packs. When this Kifaru that I bought came up for sell (a friend contacted me about it) I couldn\'t pass it up as it was the exact size that I needed (stay length and belt size).

\"cohunter14\" said:
You guys have gotten my interest in this as well. Will, would you mind posting some pics of your pack if you get a chance? I went to Kifaru\'s site as well and the pictures are very minimal. I\'d like to know what the base setup looks like compared to when you add a pack. Are you adding a pack for overnight pack trips or just to help in packing out an animal?

Derek, no need to add anything. This is the MW in daypack mode with 90# of sand in it. If you release the bottom clips it dang near doubles in size. I posted on BS under kota\'s thread titled \"5 packs 5 hunts a review\". Check it out. I put a bunch of pics on there. The dang thing is infinitely customizable. Actually took me the whole summer to figure out how I liked it to fit there are so many adjustments. If you ever come up near Ft. Collins let me know, we\'ll get together and you can try it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20150208_115805183.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 172
that pack looks like it fits you perfect!!

i have a kifaru. i had to fight it to get it to fit my body. i think i got it now, but for me it was serious growing pains.

still not to excited about putting dead meat in the pack. if i had to do it all over again, i would plop my money on a pack that sandwiches the load between the frame and bag. i can set mine up that way, but it is major surgery taking things apart to do it..and it is a retrofit, not a designed adjustment. right now, my stratagy is to to in with my gear loaded. if i kill something, i will put my gear in a drysack and strap it to the outside, meat inside..i dont own the Kifaru meatsack yet..but i think i need it to keep the inside clean.

i spent kidney level $$ money on my pack because of the rabid enthusiasm i found over at rokslide. i cant answer honestly if that didnt blindly make me only look at Kifaru. i think it did. i can distill it down to the basics: my Kifaru is really just a regular backpack with big load capabilites..next to a super quality non-hunting pack it is very similar. maybe more attachment points for gear and straps. and cooler colors.

if i had a time machine, i would try the Stone Glacier daypack..i think it is called the Solo..or Approach.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back