Days to hunt a Utah OTC permit

nateysmith

Aug 8, 2013
I thought I would try to glean some knowledge from those here on the forum.  I am looking to take some days off for the Elk Hunt here in Utah.  It is going to be an area that is not too far from my home.  I have some time off saved up, but I am trying to decide how I would I like to hunt it.

The hunt opens August 16 and goes until September 5.  I have thought about taking the Thursday and Friday every week that is possible to hunt, giving me a few more days out in the field. I have then thought about taking the last 2 weeks of the hunt off.  If I did this, I wouldn't have any more time off for any other hunts.  I have also thought of just hunting the last week of the general season.  This is all based on me not drawing a tag this year.  What would you guys do?  What are your favorite days to hunt Elk? 

Thanks for the advice in advance!

if it were me id take a 3 or 4 day weekends thats more time in the woods and less time you burned if you score, also it allows you to call out a day if you score a elk on a sunday 

I usually just hunt Friday through Sunday at the start of the hunt to kind of feel out where the elk are at, then take off the last ten days of the hunt and hunt hard. With Utahs hunt ending so early the bulls are just starting to rut a little so I try to take the last off to get in some rutting action.

I think the end of the archery season has been the most productive for me. I made the mistake last year of hunting a lot in the beginning of the season and eating up all my days off. Then when the rut really kicked in I didn't have any more time off to go after them. It's pretty sad driving away from your area knowing bulls are bugling with a tag in your pocket and you can't do anything about it.

I always take the last week off. With Monday being Labor Day I take off the Friday before Labor day week end. That gives me eight days in a row to hunt. Besides hunting the weekends. Lot of times I take a Friday off also to make a long weekend. Most my elk have been takin the last week.

I didnt draw a thing either. I feel your pain.

Thanks for the tips! I think I am going to do what jct17 and oldcarp said about taking the last week off, but I will make sure to get out in the beginning so that I know where the bulls are at.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back