Decoys

I've used mine many times and have only had one positive experience with it.

We were hunting in an area that had been full of elk the day before and weren't having any luck locating anything so we sat down to do a long cold calling sequence when someone eventually spotted a spike walking down to us. He was coming right to me but I wasn't interested in shooting a spike that early in the season so I switched places with someone else and I called and got out my decoy. Mine is the elk butt. The spike came down and the shooter missed right under him. I didn't know what happened so I kept calling and he came back and the shooter shot under him again. He ran down hill right to the other shooter who shot right over him. He ran down farther and I kept calling. He came back up and the second shooter shot right under him. 4 misses in about 5 minutes but he didn't want to leave. He stayed where he could see me for several minutes while I called but wouldn't come back down. After a few minutes a cow and calf came down and the calf spotted me and ran straight at me and stood in the brush about 5 feet from me. The cow came down and looked things over and left taking the other two with her. It was a pretty cool experience but it's the only good one I have had. I have had a lot of other elk look at the decoy but that was it.
I carry mine all elk season long without the legs. I put a clip on it so I can hang it on a limb which works pretty well. The decoy itself weighs very little. The legs are fairly heavy.

I keep thinking I should try one of the decoys that attaches to your bow and you shoot through it and look through it but I haven't yet. I think that would result in a lot of frontal shot opportunities if they are coming in focused right on the shooter.

Wow that is one lucky spike. It also sounds like an incredible experience. I am new to elk hunting. Hunted whitetails for 40 yrs and spent tons o n unnecessary stuff. Thanks for sharing your thoughts n experience. Good luck in the future.

I prefer to hunt solo and any time I've brought my Heads Up decoy, I flat out do not feel like fumbling around with it so it goes untouched. It actually just gets in the way of accessing my pack. I stopped bringing it. The last thing I want to do is run back and forth in steep country hanging the decoy and fetching it, etc. I've found that there is no time for messing with the decoy if you're also the shooter & caller.

On the other hand, if I were a designated caller for someone else's hunt, I'd like to have the decoy on-hand for an extra tool to help pique their curiosity. They don't work every time, but when they do, you're glad you tried it!

Seems like we had 50/50 luck.  Once they would run in, next one would run from it.  Switched to the butt decoy now.  I just thought the standing elk to other elk only means trouble-have you ever seen an elk just stand still for any length of time?  If you do it usually means they are about to bark.  Just think the butt one could at least convey some relaxation, feeding, etc...

All great things to think about. Running up n down these hills seems like a huge consideration. I was thinking if a wallow stake out would make any difference with a decoy. Probably get in the way like it was said.  Thank you all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back