Dehydrated meals

Jimbow65

Dec 28, 2012
Does anyone dehydrate their own meals for hunts? I know the mountain house meals are popular and convenient, But they are also expensive and sodium rich.
My wife is a great cook and I have been considering getting a dehydrator and doing it myself. has anybody tried this and has it been good?

I've only done this with fruit and oatmeal.  And yes, it is delicious and works every bit as well as a store bought.  Haven't ever tried meat or anything else though.  Wish i could be more help. 

yep do it all the time jerky,berries,chicken,beef,onions and peppers just to name a few. Made some chicken,onions and peppers mixed them all together and dehydrated them. Then mix them with ramen noodles,did same thing with beef. Then take cherries,blueberries,blackberries and raspberries and dry them,then add almonds and put in gallon zip lock baggie. Awesome snack food. Make whitetail jerky about 6 or 7 times a year, can't keep that in the house!

As soon as I get my Food Saver vacuum I am going to dry some meals and seal them.  Also want to make some protein bars and seal them. It has to be better for you than store bought stuff. Fresher but will not keep as long without all the salt added..

I did this once. I bought a box of dehydrated potato flakes and added dried mushrooms, onions, and several seasonings. Powdered milk and butter salt were a few of them. I also took part of a roast and shredded it and dehydrated that and added it. It turned out really well and was a lot cheaper than buying the store bought meals. I haven't done it since mostly because I am lazy but I would do it again if I was planning on eating dehydrated meals.

rokslide has quite a few members doing their own meals, and if you do a google search there are a few sites out there with some good recipes.

The Nesco dehydrator is suppose to be here today, I am going to try different things in the near future, I will let you know how they turn out. My plans are to try fresh homegrown fruits first apples and pears tomatoes, then try jerky as I get some venison. and try meals like venison stews and lasagna, spaghetti,

I have tried it before but never really enjoyed it like i enjoy the Mountain Houses.  I wont leave home without my  Mountain House meals.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back