Dentures and elk calls

dynamike33

Nov 26, 2014
Ok, while this is a bit embarrassing my question is are mouth diaphragm type elk calls compatible with dentures? Ive been having trouble getting them to stay put. Have good success with open reed ones but wanted to go to hands free. Any suggestions?

Well, I'm a dentist and I can tell you some of the guys I learned to effectively reed/diaphragm call from had full upper dentures. Here's what you need to know: Stay away from diaphragms with plastic domes on top. This limits you quite a bit. Primos and some other nice calls (including my favorite All-star) are out. Metal domes, on the other hand can be used effectively with dentures. Also, some diaphragms with no palate protection (like open turkey calls) might be your best bet.  The other important thing is this- make sure that upper denture is stable before practicing. This may mean a professional reline or denture adhesive before practicing your craft. I call in a lot of elk each year and I learned everything I know about mouth calls from 2 guys, both with dentures! Practice up, and good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back