Diaphragm calls

Apr 20, 2020
New to the forum and have a question:  I am going on my first elk hunt this September in Colorado and want to start practicing with mouth calls.  How do you determine if you have a high mid or low palate in your mouth?  Do you buy one of each and see?

I wouldn't worry about the size of the diaphragm. I would just order a few different kinds and see what you like. If you feel like they are too big, you can always trim some off the edges with scissors. Most of them come in the same size anyway, at least in my experience.

Personally, I have found that Phelps game calls are easy to use, consistently great sounding, and last longer than any others I've owned. I have had great experience with the pink and the green diaphragms, and I've heard that gray is a good one too.
The main thing is to practice A LOT and eventually it becomes like muscle memory.

@SPCFOOR, I would consider size as you try them out.  Use the filter at the Elk101
store to search sizes.  If you have a narrow palate or high palate you
will find the best fit in
the small to medium.

I have a narrow high palate and use a small/medium.  The large size slip around on me.
I've bent them a bit to fit, but then the latex looses it's taughtness; and still
the fit is not ideal.

I like Corey's RMHC "All Star" and "Contender". Also like the Phelps AMP Grey. 

How do gauge if you have a narrow to wide palate?
Oval face people seem to have narrow palate. 

Manufacturers could assist this search better by simply providing a "size chart" or the measurements of the diaphragm.  However, they'd miss out on that extra sells they make from people telling you to just "buy one to find the best fit". 

So I got a diaphragm call, bugle tube and a single reed call from Rocky Mountain elk calls. I can make sounds with the diaphragm (sounds like a squeaky mouse lol) but am making sounds. Any tips for sounding like an elk

Try placing the call right behind your front teeth in the roof of your mouth and don't blow very hard at all. Then just say SHHHHHHH and you should get some sound. Remember, don't blow hard! Rockie Jacobsen has a good Youtube video on how to do it.

Here's a great video series Corey put together last year. Good intro stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zMW6w1Drb8

Once you figure it out, it becomes very easy. It just takes that initial learning curve to figure it out. Keep working on it and you'll have it down in no time!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back