Different turkey areas, different calls?

ABQ_Chica

Jan 2, 2013
I\'ve only been hunting turkey 5 years or so, and have used three different types of calls: box, slate, and peg yelpers. On each hunt, one of them will usually get a response. What\'s curious is that in different areas, turkeys seem to respond to one type of call but not the others.
These are all NM hunt units:

San Pedro Parks (6A): Called in a hen(?) using the peg yelper while I was in a tree stand during a Sept. elk hunt
Valles Caldera (6B): A jake and a henned-up tom loved the sound of the peg yelper
Sandia Mtns (8): Just hiking, not hunting, used the box call to have a shouting match with a tom who also liked creaky car doors
Mt. Taylor (9): Two toms and a hen(?) responded to the slate call
Cibola NF (10): Enjoyed a lively discussion with a jake using both the slate call and peg yelper, but he left me for a screeching windmill
Manzano Mtns. (14): Called in a tom and a hen(?) on several different instances with the box call

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a very weird track record? Has anyone else experienced this?

I ran into the same thing last year.

In Oklahoma and New Mexico they responded to my slate and only my slate.
Then in Kansas they were really responsive to the aggressive and raspy box call.

I\'m not pro at turkey hunting, but I definitely think that timing and different areas will respond differently to different types of calls!

ive had years in the exact same spots that one year they will come running to a box, next year maybe a slate but wont even answer a box. no obvious reason that i know of.

i know some grizzled seasoned turkey hunters.

two things they told me stuck into my feeble memory.

1. when buying a box call, (or any call) pick the one that makes your teeth ache (like dragging your fingers on a chalkboard) when you run it.
2. when turkey hunting, bring ALL of your calls. be prepared to change up when you need to.

they told me a bunch of other stuff, i\'m sure i have forgotten. but those two have made a few really good days.. i havent been skunked a season since they schooled me. (KNOCKING ON WOOD!!!! NOW!!)

I think a lot of it has to do with the time of year and the mood of the turkey. I have never tried to call a turkey in the fall I\'m more concentrated on hunting deer/elk that time of year. If the hens are ready to breed then the toms are going to be more responsive. Unfortunately I haven\'t had much time hunting turkey here in NM but have hunted them hard in GA,NC,VA and IL. When I lived in GA what worked in one spot might not work another. For example we went out on opening morning, setup in a great spot, did a few yelps with the diaphragm call and nothing, hit the slate call and had two gobble. They loved that slate call. Went to another spot the next morning used the slate call and nothing, threw the mouth call in and had one gobble and then about 10 mins later we had him on the ground.
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->26421_1251874423155_1020979_n.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Attachments

• 26421_1251874423155_1020979_n.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 153
Thanks for the responses. Good to know it isn\'t all in my newbie head!

As for the fall turkey, that was purely accidental. I was elk hunting from a stand, and heard a hen calling. I called back once to see what would happen, and in she came! She never got close enough for a shot, but was desperately calling. Poor thing...hope she found her flock. Or whatever she was looking for.

\"ABQ_Chica\" said:
Thanks for the responses. Good to know it isn\'t all in my newbie head!

As for the fall turkey, that was purely accidental. I was elk hunting from a stand, and heard a hen calling. I called back once to see what would happen, and in she came! She never got close enough for a shot, but was desperately calling. Poor thing...hope she found her flock. Or whatever she was looking for.
If I find any good turkey areas this year, I\'ll PM you the location.
I\'ll be all over the place this year looking for them.

Thanks, Dan. I\'m not sure how often I\'ll get to chase turkey, but if I find a good spot, I\'ll let you know!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back