DIY life size elk target

usmcvet

Jul 8, 2013
5' at the shoulder, 8' nose to tail. Cost around $50 for lumber, burlap & paint. 18"x18" vital area with shelf built on back that holds foam target.

Thanks cowboystl1. Couldn't afford the large McKenzie elk. The 18"x18" vital area with the Block Target filling the space is more than sufficient for the vital area. I camouflaged the vitals with the burlap & painted over it so I wouldn't have a target look in the middle of the elk. I pencilled in the lungs, heart, & liver so you see your hit when you pull your arrows, but can't be seen when you're further away. The kicker is it gets your adrenaline up similar to drawing on live game - a hit is an easy pull. A miss is an arrow that is either broken or a bear to pull out so it really makes you concentrate & make every shot count.

Thats some cool stuff, i wish i could afford the actualy Rhinehart elk decoy but that is a good idea what you put together.  Now if only i had the skill to make it look that good.

Thanks Bullhunter. It's not as hard as you think. Find a picture you like from the internet & download to your computer. I had an LCD projector which made the next part easy. Plug your computer into the projector & project the image on the wall. Walk the projector away from the wall will increase the size of the image. I used 60" at the shoulder for my guideline. Once I got there the other proportions fall into place. Now it's easy - trace the image. I had a large piece of cardboard to make a template, but if you don't tape cardboard together. Lay your template on a piece of 4'x8' pressure treated plywood & use a jigsaw to cut out.

Nice. This is the elk target I made.  8’ tip to tail, 4ft overall height, ¼” underlayment with 1” foam glued behind it, kill area was cut out and made from 2” foam, all painted with cans spray paint.  I am working on welding up some rebar stands that will go in the ground and I will attach the elk to them to bring it up to the correct height.  I will put several compressed straw bales behind the kill area to stop the arrows.

PAP JR said:
Nice. This is the elk target I made.  8’ tip to tail, 4ft overall height, ¼” underlayment with 1” foam glued behind it, kill area was cut out and made from 2” foam, all painted with cans spray paint.  I am working on welding up some rebar stands that will go in the ground and I will attach the elk to them to bring it up to the correct height.  I will put several compressed straw bales behind the kill area to stop the arrows.
Nice job PAP JR

Rich Z, have you hit the wood yet? Invest in an arrow puller. I was able to get an arrow out that hit wood. Kind of gets the heart pumping knowing a miss can cost you an arrow.

usmcvet said:
Rich Z, have you hit the wood yet? Invest in an arrow puller. I was able to get an arrow out that hit wood. Kind of gets the heart pumping knowing a miss can cost you an arrow.

Actually Monday night I shot a little low and ruined a $15 FMJ. However I was impressed with the penetration the arrow had at 52 yds. It buried in a full 8" into the 3/4" pressure treated plywood. It'll sure teach you to stay away from the shoulder for sure as you'll get the same results from this target as the real thing....haha

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back