DIY Paper Tuning Frame

otcWill

Aug 15, 2017
Been meaning to do this for a while. I used to be able to shoot paper at my local archery club as they had a frame in the clubhouse. Always wanted to build my own. I love tinkering and tuning. Took about 10 min. and cost about $20.

Attachments

• IMG_20160104_130041509_HDR.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 293
Only problem was my first three shots were bullets holes. Oh well, no tuning today :upthumb: If you are head over heels for archery you ought to build one. Its extremely easy and shooting paper will tell you quite a bit about your setup/shot execution

Attachments

• IMG_20160104_130121599_HDR.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 292
Looks good Will! Another idea that I saw for this was a guy who built one using a wood picture frame. He screwed a piece on the bottom of the frame that would attach to a tripod, which made for easy storage and setup. Think I\'m going to have to make one of these eventually... :think:

Looks nice will! I took a cardboard box about 30\"x30\" and cut a square about 15\"x15\" in the front and back and clipped a piece of newspaper to it. Put a rock in the bottom to keep it from moving. Worked fantastic. Yours is a lot purtier tho!

Hmm ... now I\'m just trying to sort out if it\'ll be easier to build my own, or see if I can visit Will now and then ... or Brad, who will have one of these built soon, since he\'s pissed he didn\'t think of it first.

Honestly, Will, can you go into the construction a bit more?

$20 is a good deal for ... about anything, these days. What were the materials?

From the looks of the pic there are 6 - 90s and 4 -T\'s of 1 1/2\" pvc pipe
Straight Sections cut to size. Conduit comes in 10\' length
Prob not glued so it can be disassembled.

At least that\'s how I\'d build it :)

Duh. Got it. PVC is easy to work with, and you wouldn\'t need anything expensive for that.

Did you make it for a certain paper size?

Nice shooting Will. Nice tuner too.

I built one from 1\" box tubing similar. I used 3/4\" conduit for the bars that held the paper. I held the conduit to the vertical box tubing with U shaped conduit clamps. I used a roll of paper for masking things when painting. I have a crank on one roll so I can just turn it a few cranks to get fresh paper.

Thanks guys! I made it to fit freezer paper (18\") so the horizontal lengths are about 20\" of 1.5\" pvc. I simply held my bow up to decide how high to center the height. The vertical frame is 24\" and I made the legs to put that right in the center of my aiming point. Brad and John, y\'all are welcome to come over and shoot any time or borrow it as it comes apart in a flash.

fantastic.

i kid you not. i\'m almost to embarrassed to even mention this. this is what i used as my paper tuner \"rack\" last time i was in my backyard. i binder clipped them from a tree..low hanging branch.

it worked, but talk about ghetto. thank God it took two shots to get the bullet hole. phew.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 251
Nice setup. I have a paper tuner that uses rolls of freezer paper. It is made from steel and aluminum. My bowhunting buddy made back in the late 80s. He made it for himself but unfortunately he fell out of a treestand in 1991 and was in a coma for months. He is unable to bowhunt or do much of anything anymore. That is obviously off topic but whenever I can remind someone to wear a safety harness, I do for this reason.

Nice Will. When I was younger I used to cut out big cardboard boxes and tape newspapers to them. Your idea is much better.

Here is what I threw together. I decided to build it this way so I can adjust the height. I can take shots from very close and set the target up high, or I can take shots at a distance with the target on the ground (or on my fisher price archery table :D ).

I have a similar problem to Will though, once I figured out you need to leave some space between the target and the paper or the arrow will still be sticking through the paper :lol: It looks like mine isn\'t going to get a bunch of use right now. :upthumb:

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->IMG_1435.JPG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Attachments

• IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    1,004 KB · Views: 186
Here are a couple more pics...
[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->image.jpeg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment][attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->image.jpeg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 185
  • image.jpeg
    891.5 KB · Views: 185

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back