do yall use "scents" for either lure (cow pee) or cover ?

Billy Goat

Sep 5, 2017
I\'m specifically looking for answers from that 5% club that kills on a yearly basis.

you know who you are. I am not in the club, but would like to join someday.....

Shane,
I have had some bad experiences using them in the past (granted it was poor wind conditions), so I typically do not use them.

However, I picked up some of this at the NABA Show: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mocc...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=40022624&rid=20

Except, it is in a gel form. The owner raises elk, and collects the urine himself, right from the tap so to speak. It just smells like the \"real deal\".

I\'m planning on putting it on my boots walking into a couple treestands, and putting it around the foliage on my decoy for cold calling and challenge setups. Ideally, I want to get away from the decoy when elk approach...that way they can concentrate on the sight/ scent and hopefully will not concentrate on me.

So, I\'m planning on using it as a \"distractant\" instead of an \"attractant\" ;)

In the past I had used HS Scents Cow Elk Urine wafers.
I am not sure sure if they got me into the 5% club easier or not but I do know they stink to high heaven.
I don\'t use them anymore. And I still flirt with the 5% club...
I now use sage in my bin of clothes and check the wind constantly.

But If a cover scent gives you some more confidence or even gives you 3-4 seconds longer when it\'s \'go time\', give it a try.

\"cnelk\" said:
But If a cover scent gives you some more confidence or even gives you 3-4 seconds longer when it\'s \'go time\', give it a try.
From my newb perspective...

Camo, not a necessity and yes, people killed elk in jeans and a plaid shirt for years...but I believe it will help me get closer.

Scent sprays, whether an attractant or a masking spray, I believe could get me closer or as Brad said, give me a few extra seconds when it\'s Go Time.

I paint my face. It\'s part of the uniform to me. Maybe it\'s not necessary but I feel naked without it...yet don\'t wear gloves if it\'s not cold so my hands are glowing white... go figure.

If they can smell lure, then they can also smell your BO scent. Always hunt the wind....no exceptions.

Just my 2-cents!

Most of the time in the woods, I can smell me ... I have no idea how people keep from stinking when sweating.

\"Deertick\" said:
Most of the time in the woods, I can smell me ... I have no idea how people keep from stinking when sweating.

I know what you mean, John. Since I\'ve switched to Merino Wool base layers, outer layers...not so much anymore. :D

Shaving my armpits helps too (sorry, but it\'s true) :oops:

I wore a cotton shirt the other day when I was treestand hunting (and it was 100 degrees out)...Holy Moly! I don\'t know how I put up with myself for so many years.

\"elkmtngear\" said:
Since I\'ve switched to Merino Wool base layers, outer layers...not so much anymore. :D

Amen. Shaving the pits? Well, I\'ll pass on that. Good Lord, I already shave my scalp.

\"Deertick\" said:

you may have been smelling me.... on an off-grid trip (this will be) I stink bad enough to make a buzzard throw up. :sick:

\"JohnFitzgerald\" said:
If they can smell lure, then they can also smell your BO scent. Always hunt the wind....no exceptions.

Just my 2-cents!

+1 to John\'s comment. As a matter of fact, +100 with no exceptions!

Not sure elk can smell anything over their own stink.

Just kidding, but I use nothing. It\'s never stopped me from getting close.

I do not use elk scent. I do spray down with various no scent type products. I start by washing everything in a no scent soap that includes towels etc....
I don\'t like to use elk scent because if you put it on anything you will not be able to smell real elk when you get into them. If you are going to use an elk scent... mix it into a spray bottle and spray it into the air. I used to do that long ago. If I want any scent on me I will take pine bows and rub them on me and my hat.If I was going to sit in a tree stand I would get some gel scents and put that on cotton balls . like you might use scents for rutting whitetails.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back