Do you care about knife steel?

elky McElkerson

Mar 13, 2014
I typically gravitate towards 0-1 carbon steel. I like how easy it is to sharpen.

I have been hankering to try a super steel. ELMAX! Finding a proper hunt knife in elmax has been tough. Bark river makes one, but it is damn near 4mm thick. That to thick for me.

You even care? I\'m not a havalon guy at all. I like knives too much. Plus in an emergency, with a havalon you are limited.

I guess I\'m not into steel that much. I\'ve always used a Buck knife, but also own a Havalon and love it.

I honestly don\'t know anything about steel. I\'ve had some Outdoor Edge knives for quite a few years that I have been impressed with. I believe they use 420J2 steel. The knife I made over the winter is made of 440C steel. No idea what that means though :lol: Maybe you can shed some light on the different steels out there Cliff?

You won\'t see me using a Havalon anytime soon though either. I have zero interest in switching up blades during the quartering process or snapping a blade.

The new Havalon knives are 10 percent thicker. I did a whole elk with one blade last year and it was still pretty sharp. I deboned a domestic cow with the older thinner blade as a test before buying one. You can not pry with them but they are great for what they are made for. Some newer models have a folding regular blade on one end and a folding replaceable blade on the other.

Just about anything with a Rockwell hardness of around 58 makes for a good hunting knife that is fairly easy to sharpen and holds an edge. I\'m a big fan of the laminated blades from Norway and Sweden.

I\'m not allow near sharp instruments anymore for fear of failure to operate properly... :lol: :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back