Do you stay out all day?

Fullabull

Jan 2, 2013
It has taken me a few years to convince my dad to stay out all day while elk hunting. He was still hunting deer like he did a long time ago where everyone went back to camp for lunch and a nap. After taking animals during different times of the day finally convinced him to let me just pack a lunch and stay all day. I let him take a nap anyway when we are out there. It's worked out pretty well and he has not problem with it now :)

I'm definitely out there all day. With out of state tag fees, taking time off work, and all those other things that work against you I figure I might as well do something that swings the odds more in my favor.

If I where hunting out of state I would deffinitely stay out all day every day! Thats a lot of money so you have to meke sure
And get your moneys worth.

Being willing to stop and take naps was what made the difference for people in our camp over the years. At first people would push hard all day long then miss out on the last few hours of light because they were too tired and just wanted to get back to camp and rest. Then we started taking naps throughout the day, and that made a huge difference.

The hike from camp was such that it was easier to pack a lunch, than hike back. Mid-day naps in the heat of the day are nice.

I hunt all day weather I am hunting out of state or here at home I don't take naps might miss something I hunt 2-3 miles from camp here at home.

Most days we leave camp an hour or two before its light and return well after dark. I would say out of a 10 day hunt, we probably only come back to camp during the day about 2 or 3 of the days. And that is simply because of where we happen to be during the day. Hunt hard!

When you are up at 4 am and humping onto the mountain, a midday nap is a neccessity for me. This past fall, I located a good trail and it was on the steep side of the mountain. I found a 5 inch downed pine and wedged it against some brush. I then laid against the log to keep from rolling down the slope. Sun was shinning on me and I slept like a baby. Good time to take your boots and socks off to air dry and eat your lunch.

Depends on the hunt but more often than not I stay out all day. I take my breaks or nap near a wallow or water hole. I have been awaken by elk coming in a few times. If you are going to just be sitting around at camp you might as well put yourself in a place to increase your odds of tagging out. We wait all year to be in the field and I like to make the most of it.

If my wife and kid come to camp, I then return almost everyday to spend time with them other than that I spendas much time in the woods as possible.  I carry a book in my pack most times, I find a good trail or wallow and sit and read in the mid day hours for a while sometimes to rest my feet then off again.

Nothing better than a mid morning nap on the side of a hill ;)  I usually go out all day- wait all year for hunting season so I am not going to sit in camp more than I have to

Weekends I stay out day. Most weekdays consist of afternoon hunts only thanks to work. But I love packing some potted meat and crackers and spending all day on the mountain.

100% stay out all day.  It is too short of a season to only enjoy it for part of the day.  You work too hard in the offseason to not take advantage of everything you can, especially daylight.

I crack up all the time, my dad and I stay out all day but as soon as we sit down somewhere I see his head start bobbing, I have so many pictures of him sleeping when hunting. My mother cracks up when I show her but hey at least he gets some good rest. I just need to nudge him when he starts snoring :)

Here is pic of me dad this year while we were sitting watching a water hole..

Attachments

• Dad Sleeps.jpg
    Dad Sleeps.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 2
You have a better chance of killing something in the field than hanging in camp.  But I have to admit when there are pancake, eggs and bacon back at camp waiting for you and there is not much happening it never hurts to make a quick run back to camp and just enjoy the hunt!  ;)

We stay out all day. Last year the bull I ended up shooting we spotted at 1 in the afternoon and walked all the way around the canyon to get our wind right. I ended up shooting him at 3 in the afternoon. This happens all the time when I'm hunting deer during the rut too. The rut makes animals do weird things and they are roaming at random times.

I typically stay out all day, but during the mid day hours I'll usually hunt mule deer until mid afternoon. Best of both worlds - hunt mobile elk morning and evening, and bedded mules during the afternoon.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back