Does anyone else leave the broaheads alone?

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
I typically don't shoot my broadheads until a month out from my season.

I shoot all the time, but sometimes I think people start messing with their tuning and broad heads too early when really they are just adjusting for form issues....

When do you all typically start messing with that kind of stuff?

Same. About a month out I?ll check to see how they fly. Until then I mainly practice shooting long range with FP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jstephens61 said:
I shoot broadheads along with field points year round. And I do constantly tinker and switch.

I love all aspects of hunting, but I?m probably the worst tinkerer there is. 

It?s a mixture of ADD and being extremely stubborn.  I?m one of those if it ain?t broke don?t fix it types, but that also means that I?m very bad when it comes to trying possibly new and better stuff. 

More power to the people who are able to do stuff like reload ammo, build arrows, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I normally like to at least test them out about this time of year just to make sure nothing has moved from hunting season. Then i will shoot field points until a month out and recheck. The main thing for me is keeping a new string on the bow. As long as nothing has moved with it I don't have to tinker with anything. I haven't touched my rest in 3 years or so.

I practice all year and test broadheads about a month before season. Of course I do test them during season too! :grin:

About a month or two before then maybe only broadheads from then on. One at a time though.

Month before season is about it. I am the worst for changing things. Once I dial in that?s it, just practice

I dont shoot BHs much. They really mess up my target upon removal.
I'll do a spattering of BH shots throughout the summer and get serious by August, in time for pronghorn season

I also don't shoot a lot of broadheads because of what it does to my target. I try to confirm that everything is hitting where it's supposed to every once in awhile, and then a week or so before I go I shoot a few more at different distances just to be sure.

I dust off my broadheads the week before the season.  Usually I have to tweak the rest a bit or some small detail to get it back in tune.  I use fixed blades to help me tune, but I hunt with mechanical. 

I only shoot BHs a month or so before season and not a lot. That is the norm unless I have changed bows, arrows or BHs and then I shoot and tune until they impact the same as my field points. The first year I elk hunted and started shooting BHs at longer distances, I shot them almost daily and made many changes.

This year I have a new bow and will be using new arrows and BHs so I anticipate shooting them earlier and more often. I bought four used McKenzie inserts at a 3D shoot yesterday just for this purpose.

the only reason i am not shooting BHeads more; i'm cheap.  they tear up a target, and the heads themselves are costly.
i do fire a few early to make sure the dont shoot around a corner.  a bow that is tuned for Bheads will shoot Ftips better in my opinion. 

i know tinkerers that tune their bows by group tuning..that is a tough method for me.

I will add that when I do shoot BHs, I only shoot one at a time.
I do not, and will not, shoot groups with BHs.

Arrows are too damn expensive to have the razors shave or wreck an arrow shot previously.

One shot BH groups for me

I will spin tune my broadheads and work that way, then flop a field point back on and shoot the arrow at every sight pin distance make sure there is nothing hinky goin on. Then I?ll shoot my broad head once and set it in the case until it?s go time. This year though I?m shooting a new bow with new heavier arrows so we?ll see what happens.

I usually start about a month before season and I usually shoot a lot. I will shoot 3 or 4 arrows at a time but different spots on a target. A target normally only lasts me two years and it's junk.

Single best argument for the Montec practice head. I hammer those poor things.

I find nothing more dangerous than pulling a real broadhead from a target. I sliced my pants so bad once. Only nicked myself in the process, but it could have been an ER visit.

Boom said:

I find nothing more dangerous than pulling a real broadhead from a target. I sliced my pants so bad once. Only nicked myself in the process, but it could have been an ER visit.

You have to be careful when playing with "Pointy Sticks"  :lol:

Bowhunter1 said:
Boom said:

oh...i see what you just did. :)
You have to be careful when playing with "Pointy Sticks"  :lol:

I do the same. I have to make a slight elevation adjustment for my broadheads (Trophy Taker Shuttle-T's), so I wait until right before the season opener to switch over. Two bulls in two years, so I'm not changing a thing!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back