Does anyone use pack animals?

GoatT

Dec 28, 2012
Have thought about getting some mules or llamas.  Does anyone have any experience in using either? I know of a gentleman that rents out pack goats in our area and have often thought of using them too.  What are your thoughts?

I pack with horse and mules. Its great but takes a lot of learning, and work. If you get a good riding mule they are the best way to go.. With stock you can go further into the wilderness, stay longer, and have more stuff. Then its a lot easier to pack your elk out.. Mules can get into a lot more places than a person would think.

Thanks Gameslayer, what is the cost to upkeep a mule through the year (feed, shelter, shots, medications, etc.)? Are they relatively easily to take care of? I have a friend that has a couple of llamas and he has used them on quite a few elk hunts and says the same thing about having some animals to pack it all out for you.  Saves the back!

We use llamas. There are amazing! I have hauled out multiple elk with llamas. They may look dumb and sound dumb, but once I get a place of my own. I'm getting some specifically for elk hunting.

Mules are easier to keep than horses, one of the better traits they got from donkies. It all depends an what you have or can find for land. We have acreage that they can feed on all spring, summer and fall tell the begging or mid November then have to feed them for the winter months.
So it could range from a couple hundred up to close to a thousand if you have to feed hay all year. Shot and meds aren't bad..
Horse usually need shoes put on at about $75 -$100, but my mules has good feet and can get buy without.
They aren't bad to take care of if you give them what they need, but have to be fed every day by someone when your feeding hay.
I heard the best way to pack a lama was half on each side of my mule. lol.. J/K 

Used llamas for ten years. If you are going to own pack animals llamas are the cheapest and easiest to take care of. They eat less and need less care other than shearing and trimming nails. I decided to sell last year because I can rent two horses or mules with tack for less than it costs to keep five llamas year round and then I am not feeding in these miserably cold days.

I grew up hunting off pack horses with my dad and brothers. We would pack in and stay as long as we could or until we tagged out. Some of the greatest memories I have of hunting are in the mountains in a wall tent with my family. In my neck of the woods hay prices are high around 250.00-300.00/ton. Horses will typically need 20-30 lbs of hay per day. If you buy bales that are 80lbs average then you will have 3-4 days per bale per horse so you would need approximately 10 bales per horse per month with 25 bales per ton you would be spending $100-$120 per month per horse to feed based on those prices. Other options are arranging a drop camp, renting animals for the season, or riding a bicycle. Never tried the bike approach. Each have their own challenges and benefits.

Saw a guy using pack goats this year when I was out hunting. He said they do pretty well and they are like dogs.

Attachments

• 41.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 2

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back