Draw v OTC

Rzrbac

Jan 12, 2018
Meeting with our group tomorrow to discuss our 2018 trip. Our last meeting we were leaning toward GMU 55. It?s a draw unit but requires 0 points so we felt like we could get a tag easily. My question is what makes a 0 point draw unit better than an OTC unit?  Does it mean less elk so they limit the number of hunters?  Does it mean it has bigger bulls?  I?m looking at GMU 55 but wondering if it is any better than an OTC unit. I want to have multiple areas this year and thought an OTC may provide more opportunities rather than being locked in GMU 55. I would like to hear some opinions especially from those who have spent some time hunting multiple GMUs in CO.

Ive never hunted 55, but I do have experience in applying for draw units

Just looking at the stats for 55, in 2017, there was a 69% chance of drawing [archery elk] on the 2nd Choice

With the tag quota set at 665, this lets the CPW control the number of hunters, opposed to an OTC unit where the numbers can fluctuate by HUNDREDS each year.

If someone was interested in gaining PPs, I certainly wouldnt advise applying for 55 as first choice. But thats just me

Steven, the main difference between a draw unit and OTC is that they are able to control how many hunters are in the specific unit. For Unit 55 archery, they have 665 tags allotted. Does it mean less elk than OTC units? Not necessarily. Does it mean bigger bulls? I would also say not necessarily.

665 tags is certainly not a small number. For simple comparison, Unit 54 which is right next to 55 only allots 280 archery tags and is similar in size. A lot of it comes down to herd management and the amount of land available to hunt.

My opinion on Unit 55 versus OTC? Either one will work just fine. Even if you were to spend two weeks out hunting, you probably won't run out of areas to check out within Unit 55. If you have an OTC tag, sure you can bounce around between units, but it's not like you want to hunt three or four units over a week or two weeks. You don't need to be spread that far to find elk.

cnelk said:
Ive never hunted 55, but I do have experience in applying for draw units

Just looking at the stats for 55, in 2017, there was a 69% chance of drawing [archery elk] on the 2nd Choice

With the tag quota set at 665, this lets the CPW control the number of hunters, opposed to an OTC unit where the numbers can fluctuate by HUNDREDS each year.

If someone was interested in gaining PPs, I certainly wouldnt advise applying for 55 as first choice. But thats just me
Brad was posting at the same time as me. But good point in regards to the preference points. If you guys are trying to save up points, it might be worth looking at something else.

Thanks for advice Derek and Brad. I?ve never really researched points or drawing a tag. The only reason GMU 55 is in play is because one guy in the group has hunted there quite a bit. I was there for a few days in 2009 and seen more elk there while bear hunting than I?ve seen on my two elk hunts combined. In my simple mind I figured there must be more elk. I?ve never picked out my own spot for elk before, my CO hunt was a place another member had picked out and the same for my ID hunt. I think there?s a good chance I will struggle even if I had the best tag/unit in CO. I will likely just go along with whatever our group decides as I think some want to attempt to get a ML tag while some maybe more interested in mulies. My only requirement is I can legally chase a bull with my bow. No matter the outcome of our hunt, I?m sure I?ll have fun and to me that?s the name of the game anyway. Don?t get me wrong though, I want to call in a bull and let the air out of him.

One thing to remember with those stats posted above is that your are GUARANTEED a tag on your first choice - which isnt a bad thing

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back